Kinda Gross .... what have you run over?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Apr 13, 2004.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wondering what everyone's run over with their mowers, trimmers...

Personally I've done like everyone else, the dog **** in the eye / mouth from the trimmer, flung a frog across the property that decided to jump out of the lake as I was running the trimmer along the edge.

My weirdest and ugliest was about 3 years ago, mowing a sewer pond area for a local city, a female duck shoots out from the weeds right in front of me and WHHOOMPP, under the deck she goes. I tried to stop, but when you're shooting along at 9-10 mph, you can pull back all you want but it ain't happening that fast.

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

The nastiest thing I ALMOST ran over with my lawnboy, was a used maxi pad!!!! A dog had ripped open a garbage bag,:help::dizzy:

I would've junked the mower right there......

3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

OH..OH...I got one,

First mowing of the season so the grass was kinda tall, brand new mower, beautiful day.
    Apparently this possum got hit in the street but managed to mosey into this yard.....yeap.....spread him all over the place, had to go over him about three times to hide him.

Won't need fertilizer this year.:gunsfirin

4. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

I saw another guy mow over a bunch of baby rabbits.
    Some parts were clinging to the fence.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

6. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hit a few things in my day....On this really big yard we mow in the country I ran over what I thought was a large stick but for whatever reason I turned around and saw it wrythiing....turned out to be a large snake!......I dreaded going back to that section of the lawn !......Stood ontop of the Velke wheel the next time around but it was nowhere to be seen.....probably still waiting for revenge on me.....

Other thing I hit that was notable was with the DR Field mower....Was mowing a large field (too steep to bush hog w/ a tractor)....The DR hit somenthing and cut off......Backed the mower up and there large snapping turtle with its
    back leg and tail cut mostly off a shell damage too.....Felt bad about that and
    called the SPCA .......they came and got it but unfortunately still died....
    Last thing that was kinda gross too was when I was mowing a cemetary
    and with its tall grass.....every once in awhile I would see a little puff of "smoke" come from the grass as I mowed....I figured it was some kind of mushroom spore (you know the baseball sized thing you hit and it makes "dust"....Anyways this was more like hitting one like that only the smoke was whiter and more like a dandilion......After several more "puffs"....I saw what I was really hitting as a body of a small bunny rolled across the grass....I felt bad about that and decided to walk some of the tall grass.....Saw a few more so I had to move them before mowing more....
    Yes also weedeated some frogs and ugh dog piles .....You know the worst thing to weedeat though is a yellowjacket......especially if your're near their hole......Ouch!

7. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

The worst for me. A dead Mole.
    Hit the thing with a trimmer last year and it had to be the gag nastiest stinking thing that I have ever encountered. Puked, gagged and puked some more.
    For three days I nealry gagged every time that I looked at the trimmer. A mouth full of Dog dumpings would have been a blessing compared to that thing.

8. exmarkjockey

exmarkjockey LawnSite Member

The 5' black snake that I had to unwrap from around the blade of my mower with a screwdriver was the worst thing I've run over. Man did that thing stink:dizzy: Also ran over some baby bunnies and it's kind of hard for your day to get any worse after that, unless you also run over someones dead and bloated cat!!

9. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I haven't ran anything over with a normal grass mower. But, when I worked on a ranch I ran a skunk through a hay mower and a mommy duck, but caught the babys and raised the Mallards and returned them to the wild. I was so glad that the tractor had a cab so the skunk smell wasn't around much untill I had to replace the blades later in the day.

10. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

a few years ago as i was driving my truck and i ran over a dead squirrel, my window was open and I got wet gunk in my face and mouth. I almost puked.