Kindergarden Welder

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I guess the question is what do you intend to weld? That lincoln is a good machine. I would not recommend anything smaller that a 140. That will weld anything from sheet metal to trailer gates. I'm a hobart guy myself but lincoln tips are easier to come by around here.

4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with shovelracer, I wouldn't buy anything smaller than that 140. I would make sure you can get something capable of using gas with.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You get what you pay for. The ground champ doesn't look the great. But good luck.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The Lincoln 140 can be used with or with out gas.

7. nepatsfan

and I agree with shovelracer... and you- personally i would go with a 220 vs. 110 if you have the capabilies but definitely something with gas such as the 140

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Is 140 the amps?

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the real problem with those machines. When you have to do more than a few inches of bead it will heat up and trip its own breaker. Then it won't work until it cools down. The duty cycle is stupid short on them. IMO you can't beat a Lincoln225 ac\dc stick welder for welding everything from sheet up to 1/4 inch angle. Takes a little practice to do good welding. CL is full of them for 150 with accessories. Mine is 30 years old and works like new.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. nepatsfan

yes........