1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kindergarden Welder

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sadly all the grinding to make it pretty does nothing for the integrity of the weld. A proper weld doesn't need a grinder to look good.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, in fact...I've seen more pretty welds fail.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Patriot. Yep, it's a Clarke 160EN 220V MIG. I figured I would go ahead and buy a 220V just to be able to weld thicker steel if I needed to. I still haven't picked up a bottle for it yet, all my projects so far have been with flux core. I hear it's much nicer welding with gas (obviously cleaner than flux core).
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Welding is a great skill to have, just wouldn't want to do it for a living.
  5. die4irish

die4irish LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have welded all my life. my dad was a shop welder and taught me as a kid. saying that.

If it don't run off of 220 it aint worth a crap.
  6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Unless all you want to weld is foil like another poster said.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If you're wanting to start out welding I'd suggest a Hobart Handler 140. It is a good way to learn the basics of welding. Hobarts are the consumer line from Miller welders.

It would be worth while to spend the extra money and get this model. It can run on either 120 or 240. 240 volts is the better option.

As far as brands, I'd stay with Hobart. I have a handler 134 for 8 years and it is a very good machine. I wish I'd have a 220 volt. It will handle flux core and gas with ease.