Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 16, 2006.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

When installing poly lines and doing the hookups, is there special tricks you pro's use to keep from kinking the lines? When you get into tight spots, like tee's, at manifolds, etc. where there is not an abundance of room, and pipe don't move much, it is easy to kink the pipe (1" poly).
    And 2nd, how much trouble will it cause, I straigten it out as best I can, but am concerned that it may degrade the flow.

Thanks a bunch for your answers!!:hammerhead:
  2. I am eagerly awaiting the answer to this thread......
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I was under the impression that you poly guys only used poly on the lateral lines, and used PVC for the mainlines and manifolds?

Isn't that thin poly (the stuff thats so easy to kink) you guys all use not rated for constant pressure???
  4. I think he is talking about hooking up the laterals to the downstream sides of the valves...
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's strictly a feel thing, as far as working with poly goes. How much you can heat it, and how much you can bend it, are things you learn with experience. The valve manifold hookup can be especially tricky. One bit of reasoning behind my verycrowded manifold assemblies is that the box can be oriented at a right angle to the usual position, and elbow fittings can make the poly-to-valve connections effortless.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You just wanted an excuse to post that picture again :)
  7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This coming from a guy that touts poly all the time? A true poly/pvc hermaphrodite??? :laugh:
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Boots- I better never find one of your manifolds here in Colorado. If so and I need to rebuild it, I'm coming to find you and kick your backside. Why not make a manifold that is easier to service later on. Pics like that make me angry. Wait, everthing makes me angry right now.
  9. The one I had yesterday that thankfully isn't leaking yet...had 2 valves on top...and 3 below it all in one box.....that should be fun someday for somebody.....
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When's the last time you saw a Richdel valve with a split body? (knock wood :hammerhead: ) They're still using the same design, and they thread on the same way as always. Someone assembling with paste dope and pipe wrenches might have a different track record, but what I've observed from my own assemblies is that access to repair a valve is what's needed. Access to unthread and replace is not needed. However, the spacing still preserves the ability, should a new page in history be written, to remove a single valve.