Kinks!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 16, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I can turn in my AARP card? :)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I got neckties older than you.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

4. greenhorn123

greenhorn123 LawnSite Member

why woulnt you build your manifold out of poly if you are using poly for the system?

i used pvc for manifolds whrn i lived in florida, takes the same time but poly isnt permanent and its service friendly.

next time buy your guys lunch rather than burying money with that copper set up

5. Wet_Boots

If you're recommending poly pipe for constant-pressure above-ground service, then you can move to the front of the abuse-target line. The poly in the picture is not under constant pressure.

I normally use PVC for manifolds, albeit in configurations that seem a bit controversial.

A wee bit of that assembly in the picture was going to be copper, anyway, because of the copper-for-above-ground-plumbing policy.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Purple, you just got passed over and it's now time to pick on greenhorn. Although I have seen a few homeowner installed poly manifolds work just fine, I would never, NEVER, recommend or build one. PVC tees or the Dura/Spears swivel manifold tees are the best way to go in my opinion. BUT don't over fill the manifold. I like a maximum of 4 (but prefer 3) in a standard box, max 5-6 in a jumbo box, never use the manifold cross with valves on both sides (cough, cough), and a drain in the manifold to allow the water to drain out and help prevent freeze damage.

Boots - I'm not saying your manifolds will fail or break due to HOW you install them. But if the homeowner, or future homeowner doesn't drain the system properly, or know about blowing it out (California transplants) then the manifold is suspect to freeze damage. I am starting to move towards the mainline auto drains for any manifolds I rebuild. The thing I hate doing most on a job is digging up and rebuilding a manifold.

7. I love digging up manis and replacing them....but then again, I don't have a 3 week backlog and I'm in deeper debt than you ;)

A certain irrigation guy that used to do the work up in the Mts here that you used to refer.....uses poly main and manifolds....

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you're talking about who I used to work for, I can't believe he would do poly manifolds. Mainline yes, many guys here are doing that. I've done them. But not manifolds.

Get to work! It's alrady 7:20, you're late.

If you're near Monument, CO today, we're having a BBQ party - EVERYONE'S INVITED. Except Boots and Purp, and maybe SheShovel. Ah what the heck, you're all welcome to show up.

9. Wet_Boots

No question that a broken manifold is about the toughest repair going, but my installations can be winterized, even if no one's home and the inside supply valve is still open, and with the outdoor drain strapped open, water entering expensive territory is a thing that doesn't happen. Any homeowner that wants to defeat the safeguards will deserve what they get. One important regional difference here is that the spring weather breaks much more predictably, and freezeups aren't a factor when a homeowner waits for the proper time to turn on the water.

10. Congratulate your significant other from me....quite an accomplishment.

I'm working up here today...after little league.....working tomorrow also...but not sprinklers...

Have fun today...

And, you are right, I apologize...poly main, dura swivel manifold....