Kinks!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 16, 2006.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

clamps on a manifold is low class...

I used to always do those spears white threaded tees... I've been using these dura swivels lately...

I also don't like to use automatic drains on the manifold since I've replaced two of them this year after they flooded the basement because they stopped working

manifold.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

BSME, Can you undo each of those tee's like a union? Also, how did the 2" pipe job go?

3. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

yes you can... which makes them incredibly easy to service or add on...

it also makes my guy who installs the manifolds move a lot quicker than with the spear manifold tees... these don't require teflon since they have an O ring

I haven't done the 2'' yet... i have some more questions that i'll move to the other thread

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think one of the things that modern technology may not have improved is the insert fitting, when it comes to a constant pressure connection. The old barb-and-smooth-shoulder form allowed for a double clamping that could really resist the poly pulling off. No question that the all-barb form allows for easier single-clamping, since you don't have to locate the barbed area.

Missing from the poly manifolder's posts is what static pressures he's working with, and what type of poly (utility? NSF? 160psi medium density?) and clamps are being used.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Since all poly is used out here is for domestic lines (Well to house, or Water Meter to house), everything is NSF 200 PSI. You need to heat it, or use a rubber mallet to get the fitting in it.

We use Brass barbed fittings double clamped.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is it IPS or CTS size? The only poly house-supply-line I've seen around here was 1 1/2 CTS 200 psi used in a low-pressure neighborhood. (pressure low enough the the basement water meter {1 inch} was set with a brass pipe nipple hammered into the end of the poly and 'secured' with a pair of worm-gear clamps)

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Spears now has swivel tees that look exactly like the Dura one. But the o-ring is thicker, unlike the very thin Dura o-ring. They are about 1/4"-1/2" longer that the Dura. Found that out the hard way!

8. Yes..but the black ones and the grey ones do interchange..found that out the easy way and boy was I relieved....I get tired of digging!

I love the dura mani tees also....I can't believe I just said that, first Rainbird products and now swivel tees...what is the world coming to?

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A kinder and gentler SprinklerGuy? Say it aint so Tony. <JK> :laugh:

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The discussion on barbed fittings is exactly why I don't like them here even for swing joints. I have replaced way too many barbed funny pipe swing joints for comfort. :cry: