1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kiril, Mudd, ICT this should intrest you!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This one?

Here is a couple you might be interested in from my archive.

http://www.suprahumic.unina.it/home/images/pdf/Advances in Agronomy 2002.pdf

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the OM that would take away from the turf would outweigh any benefits of bagging to keep Mg levels low...if it even applies here.

Healthy grass is what like 80-85% water content and maybe some lignin.
  3. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

OK, then you lost me.

I will assume here you are referring to the humic polymer model, however I am not seeing anything in that paper that specifically addresses covalent bonding beyond the review of photochemical reactions. Lots of stuff on non-covalent bonding though. ;)
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Mulching into the soil will probably do more for compaction issues than balancing the Ca/Mn ratio.

It would still be interesting to know what kind of nutrients are removed in bags. :)
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Axe, I believe you mean Ca:Mg ratio (note syntax)
  7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Kiril, Gotta love your precision.
  8. Tim Wilson

Quite simply there is a definition of humus which is still degrading and evolving organic matter which is non-covalent aggregately bonded

There is a definition of humus which is stable having formed a stable molecular structure or is covalent bonded.

Covalent bonds comprise material which shares electrons in varying degrees and complexities to form electro-chemical configurations, thereby becoming reliable substances. A polymer is simply a complex covalent bonded structure, such as cellulose and in some schools humus.

I use the terms covalent and non-covalent to draw a more simply defined contrast for purposes of explanation rather than getting into polymeric [sic] chains.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I looked around briefly for info on this and could find none that discussed the model in detail. I have seen (as previously mentioned) suggestions of metal complexing and possible covalent bonding, but nothing on the humic polymer model and related chemistry. What little that paper did discuss the model, it appeared to be limited to a specific set of substances produced under a specific set of conditions in a lab, and not an "all inclusive" model, per what is generally accepted as comprising "humic substances". Perhaps I am mistaken or perhaps one needs to define "humus" or "humic substances" to fit the model?

In any event there is, by far (it appears), more supporting evidence for supramolecules, so until this changes I will continue to pitch my tent in that camp.
  10. Tim Wilson

When I originally posted the article it was to illustrate that there is no set definition for humus and the debate over what truly defines it will likely never be settled. I tend to not go one way or the other, just using the humus from my worms.

I equate it to some degree to the opposing definitions for compost. Some believe that compost has chunks of wood in it while others maintain no substance should be recognizable. I side with the latter in this case.