1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kiss my...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Brendan Smith, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

well, it's getting close to time to change jobs. hear me out if you have the time. i started here 5 years ago. my boss left last summer and i officially took over the service dept. service was in the red every year until i took over. now we have gone from 50-60k yearly loss to 70k in the black for this fiscal year only. we're talking 120-130k turn-around. we have a general manager who has begun riding my azz daily, telling me i don't know how to do my job, i need to decide whether i want to cut grass (said with a sneer) or work here. then he decides we're going to have a "morale-building" departmental dinner (at his favorite bar) this saturday for service and body. i told him i couldn't go as i have work scheduled from 6am until 8 or so pm this saturday. he comes back with a disciplinary action form filled out for me stating "refusal to attend company function" as the reason for the write-up. i have never been written up in my professional life for anything. i told him i wasn't signing the sheet, that i would go if it meant that much to him. he started yelling about how he doesn't want me to now. later, after he calmed down, i went to listen to what he had to say so he wouldn't pursue the issue.
    i make about 50k here, family health ins costs about $945/month with 2.5k deductible per person. my cousin works at the wal-mart distribution center about an hour from my house, makes $17.35/hr and pays $145/mo for family health with 1k deductible. plus stock and matching 401k up to i think 15%. here they don't match 401k at all. he works fri, sat, and sun nights.
    this is what i'm contemplating...go to work for the original corporate satan (wal-mart) three days a week, would be minimum $450/wk pay to start, get off cobra ins after 3 months, and have at least tues, wed, thurs to devote to the business. i could realisticly net another $500 minimum tues-thurs with the customer base i currently have (which is all i can handle by myself with my day job), while continuing to grow. the guy who works with me on saturday also said he would let me in on some of his weekday stuff to boot. trust with him isn't an issue. no need to elaborate on that.
    my other alternative is to try to stick it out here and see what happens.
    the only thing i feel bad about is that for the most part, i have been looking out for these techs for 5 years now, and i'd hate for them to get a new boss and not be treated fairly. i feel a sense of responsibility toward them.
    what do you think?
  2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

What do i think ?

I think you have problems my friend :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  3. Brendan Smith

yeah, well tell me what you would do.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You have to do what's right for yourself. If you are raising a family,and you can get better med. coverage for less, that is a consideration. Furthermore, you HAVE to be happy. If it is a miserable job (if even just because of the environment), then it leads to misery outside of work, too (always thinking of going back to work). How long is this other guy going to be there? Only YOU know what is best for you.
  5. Sandgropher

Have a lot of fosters :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dont know will read again, took me 1/2 hour last time :laugh: :laugh:
  6. Sandgropher

O.K i think you should see how things go, if your GM gets worse i think you may have put that plan into action, seems like you can still do O.K at Walmart and mowing , or maybe you can find a job with a similar company, anyway lets see what others think good luck

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I would stick it out. No matter where you go there will always be bullcrap and boses you don't like. You are there to make money not friends. So stay there make 50K and work your butt off on the Lawn Care Business..
  8. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

IMO ask him for a copy of the write up (BTW YOU DID THE RIGHT THING BY NOT SIGNING IT) and then go to his boss and ask to speak to him confidentially and off the record and then you let that person know whats going on Let your record speak for itself.
    Its sounds like he is upset with you over your business more than you work performance (or jealous because he never had the ba**s to go for it) you could also let him know that you expect everyone who does not show up to be written up.
    you can also contact your HR department
  9. Brendan Smith

thanks runner. i'm hoping he isn't long term, but i'm getting burnt out. i really want to be a full-time lco, but thinking of the kids first, i need some kind of full time job with benefits until i can build the business up enought to support us. that's why i was thinking about the dist. center...no responsibilities, no headaches, etc.
  10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

IMO you're going to have headaches and responsibility with any job. My take on your situation is this: The GM seems like the kind of person that moves around from job to job. Whenever I've encountered a person of his nature in a position such as his, they don't last long before the welcome is worn out. Then they move on to another company, work there for a year or two and it's time to go again. Don't know what your relationship is with the owner, but I'd think he has a bit of respect for you after turning around the department like you did, maybe have a talk with him and see where he stands.

Ultimately it's like Runner said, everyone's situation is different and you have to do what's best for you & the family. At this point it may be best to stick it out for a little while and see if this guy lasts. That's just my opinion as I've gone through a very similar situation in the sales world a while back. I know it's hard to take some of the crap upper mgmt. likes to dish out, but keep in mind you probably have more respect from your techs then this GM does, so that could definitely work in your favor if crap starts to hit the fan.

Good luck.