kissing clients :(

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fblandscape, Jun 5, 2003.

1. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I had gone to talk with a client last week about their lawn. Couple is probably in their early 40's or so? I had been talking with them in their house and was heading outside to meet the husband and talk with him about certain spots in particular. On the way out the guy's wife went to give me a kiss on the cheek. Now I have done that with long time friends of the family, family, etc. However for a client to kiss me is new to me. I have even had clients offer me their whole bodies :eek: (both women were very good looking, but I said no) What is your take on this issue? I did the traditional motion in return but am feeling really awkward about this.

2. Nothing but trouble. We are in a highly vulnerable position. The American justice system is set up on “innocent until proven guilty.” HOWEVER, let a woman falsely accuse you of improper (even criminal) behavior and you’ll be desperate to prove your innocence. Especially if it involves an attractive woman.

If you’ve kept your nose clean over the years and have a spotless record of integrity concerning your clients, you’ll have a wide base of character references. This should be protected at all cost.

But “go for a swim in your customer’s pool” and your accuser’s attorney WILL find them, all of them. Once they’ve established that you don’t have a customer-boundary on that kind of behavior, it would be much easier to get the police to take the word of your accuser.

Innocent or not, by now your whole customer base would know about your “troubles” and then you’ve lost the “benefit of the doubt” FOREVER. Satan doesn’t like to manifest himself with horns, tail, and pitchfork. He KNOWS human nature and stalks us with bait. Try looking at these situations from that point of view.

The Lord gave men two of the most powerful organs in all of creation. But only enough blood to operation one of them at a time. Sounds like you were caught by surprise this time. Now it’s up to you to look for and avoid ANY situation with this customer that could be interpreted as improper.

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said. Satan can be very subtle and is good at deception. Satan never gives up either - a sore loser that wants to take as many down with him as possible.

Good for you saying "no" to the two offering their bodies. If a woman (or a man) is prepared to throw their body around like that with a total stranger, that speaks volumes.

The kiss on the cheek - if it's an isolated incident & they don't try any funny stuff again then keep the client. If things get weird again drop them. Who knows what goes on behind their closed door. You have a business to run, like Bluesteel said.

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

put down that PENTHOUSE FORUM before you start mowing!

5. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, be honest. How many people looked at the profile to see how old fblandscape was to see if this was some kinda young boys dream!

I know what you mean. I went to give a quote to a couple on their lawn. When I was getting ready to leave the woman stopped me in the door, looked to see if her kid was listening, and asks how much it would be for me to cut "mommy's other house". It turns out that she was cheating on her husband and had bought another house herself.

Two weeks ago I started cutting her new place. She has invited me in, offered dinner and drinks, while adding that the kids were at their fathers house!

No thanks, happily married, see ya.......

6. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

What ever happened to "servicing the customer"???

That sure can be the quick way to get yourself into some hot water......and I ain't refering to the Jacuzzi!!!!

About 25 years ago, I worked to a private sanitation company (garbage man). They used to have a fellow working there who had this particular house on his route where the woman walked around the house nude. He had to go to the rear of the house to get the garbage and there was a picture window in the rear that he had to pass by. Every week this gal stood in the window as he walked past and he got a GOOD view. One week he "decides" he needs to use her bathroom. He knocks on the door and she answers it nude. He askes to use the bathroom and she lets him in. A few mins later, he comes out in front of her with his drawers down and the "best part of him" in his hand and she lets out a scream!!!! He thought he was going to get something, but it was he who got the surprise! Pulled his drawers up and ran out of there like his ***** was on fire! That afternoon the boss got a call from the husband who was quite upset, but didn't want to file any charges since it would certainly get in the newspapers. He just wanted to "have this guy fired!" Boss said, "OK, no problem." He really just put the guy on another truck working the other side of town. All the guys at the company knew this gal stood there every time they came to get the garbage, but they all had the brains to not do anything.

I've only had 2 occasions where I came close to "getting an offer". One was when I was cutting a customers lawn and another customer that lived up the street stopped in her Mercedes as she went by on her way home and asked, "are you gonna do me?" There's plenty of things I've thought of over the years as to how I "could" have answered that, but I just replied "sure. Be there in about an hour." Don't know if she really meant anything by it and I didn't ask. Another time I had this real attractive gal who got divorced and I KNOW she was looking for it(he mother told me!). Kept it friendly and did help her out with things other than yard work, but never made "the move".

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I had a customer that I used to do leaf removal for...say about three times each fall.

and each time before I left, she would always give me a hug.

I never attached any significance to it.

now if she'd grabbed my butt...maybe! :eek:

GEO

8. The Green Way

The Green Way Banned

That's what I call customer service ;-) !!!

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would be very careful about this and avoid situations like this at all costs. This has a huge possibility of turning ugly.

Gravely_Man

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife and I always get kick and a chuckle out of it when customers (usually new customers and usually senior citizens) Call and ask, "I was wondering if Dave can do me?"

Fortunately, I don't have any customers that represent even the slightest temptation. This way the wife knows that when I go to do them i'm not "doing them" :)