1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kitchen input

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Jan 14, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Putting together a proposal for a customer including a sizeable patio and retaining wall. Everything is manufactured concrete, not stone.

They are wanting an outdoor kitchen consisting of:

BBQ........charcoal, not a grill..........like something at a park

Think of 3 eqaul squares together. One is a flat prep surface, the other a sink and the other the charcoal.

I've never built a kitchen and may just send this towards a buddy for that part but I figure if you can build a wall you can stack block with glue and form some boxes for a kitchen. I would prefer a masonry because I am more comfortable with that vs using man. concrete block etc.

I assume a flagstone cap on the top.....simple enough. Then there is the charcoal area. Would a piece of steel be incorporated for the charcoal to be set on??

Gathering some info, thanks!
  2. thewaterman

thewaterman LawnSite Member

Outdoor kitchens are a growing tend in our service area as well. My first suggestion to you would be to check you local codes. They may have codes to follow for this type of installation. Secondly, I would build everything out of masonary if possible and use steel supports where needed. There are many good illustrations in books at many suppliers and online that could help with your project. Good luck.
  3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Barbecues galore has some nicer-quality drop-in charcoal units for outdoor kitchens. They also have the clearance requirements for setting them in masonry or other types of surrounds, so you'll be able to do it right.