Kitty litter for mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doug Perrone, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Doug Perrone

Doug Perrone LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me how to get my cats to stop using my mulch beds for kitty litter. its really pissing me off (no Pun intended)

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I know how ya feel,the wife and I just put our houseplants out on the deck and had to use bird netting around the top of the pots to keep the cats from chitten in them! I gues you cant cover all your mulch beds with bird net! Try your local pet store....bet they have a repellent.

Peace!

3. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Put some around the perimeter of the beds they dont like the smell.

4. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Spray the beds with citrus, lemon juice or apple anything with citrus cats hate it. And if it rains you'll have to spray it again.

5. One of the oldest tricks are moth balls.
    Next step would be cayan pepper.
    Make sure your kitty box is always fresh. Change the box more often. You can't really stop the "call of nature", just can try to discourage it.
    John

6. I've used moth balls and even cut and laid blackberry brambles down. I even have one customer that put old light bulbs (not broken ones) in her beds to try and discourage the neighbors cat from using her rose bed.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

find a coyote to guard them.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It's called a shotgun down south!

9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the best way and natural way is to add lavender to the mulch. You can either plant lavender or add the smell of lavender...it is a natural repellant to cats...stray cats in our customer beds was a big problem but not any more...( There is also a spray repellant at local pet stores like skyphoto suggested.

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

CO2 Pellet rifle to the hind leg, blunt pellet.

Kitty will carry the pellet for the rest of his life, and will never forget the sting.

PAP!!!!!!!