1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kitty Litter?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Allen's LS, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

OK, Not sure what this fits under. So here goes. I have a customer. (Crazy cat lady) Anyway she has about 15 to 20 cats. (Seriously):eek: Well she keeps puting the used kitty litter into the beds and around plants. Is there? If any, benefit to this? Or should she not do this and why? Personaly it repulses me due to the smell. And it kinda wigs me out!!!
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i can't see how it would help. but we have just 1 cat and i would die if we had 20.
  3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well from my experience, cat urine & feces will end up killing the plants. we had a neighborhood cat.... and i had a lot of flowers planted for my mother... now the cat is gone and the flowers are back!! but maybe seemings the urine is diluted into the cat litter it wont have the same effects? i dont know.... just buy some plant fert. & fertilize her plants for free.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Other than that, how's the yard and the pay?

I mean it would put a damper on my spirits, but if everything else was ok, I'd likely keep such an account if pay was ok and on time, and the rest of the yard was doable, heck with it, wear nose plugs and blinders LOL I seem to always get a dead cat (for real, dead and smelly ewww) and I keep servicing the yard, that stuff repulses me bad too but hey...
  5. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure how the feces themselves effect the plants. But I think the only thing that the litter itself will do is retain rain water until it is evaporated by the sun, eventually chocking out the plant. I don't have much experience in the kitty-litter field but like I've said in the past, my grandma has tried it all.:laugh:

Good luck with the STANK!
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Cat litter is nothing more than clay, and cat urine and feces is NOT good for any plant of any kind. Putting the clay around the plants is bad enough, and then to add the ammonia of the cat pee is surely a death wish on the poor plants!
  7. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I haven't seen any feces. I think she actually removes that. But it still has the urine in it.
    Its one of those PITA accounts. Its on a steep hill that I have tripped and sliped down too many times to count.
  8. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe you should "dump" her? pun intended.
  9. Hoss_27

Hoss_27 LawnSite Member

I don't know if you just have to look at it or if you actually try and tend these plants for her. Either way I would be gone like a fart in the breeze. I really do not like cats though, especially the smell of their urine.:nono:
  10. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if i am not mistaken, kitty litter is used as a cheap means for cleaning up messes in the shop (oil, gas, hydrolic spills) it is super absorbant. nothing like putting that material around roots of a plant.