Knee Problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Feb 21, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I have really bad knees, something to do with the cartilage having worn away so after walking on them all day I am literally limping home....

With this what is the best sulky to buy for a walkbehind to help with the situation? And please dont say a Z rider.

I am thinking about a bullrider I just did not know if one sulky is better than the other

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, I won't say it.

I just know my knee problems were so bad I couldn't walk down stairs w/o holding the rail, and magically 5 years after buying my first ztr they're pretty darn good.

But I realize you have to walk at times. The proslide might spread the shock over a larger area and help.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Remember seeing one years ago.(trying to remember the name)
    It had the plate/deck where you stand, mounted on springs. With all the bad knee-talk years ago, I could never understand why there was not much talk about them. I know someone will recall the name. but I'll still keep looking in some old PRO mags, and see if I can find more info.

4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a cracked knee cap last fall after a fall in a Cross Country race (running not skiing). I have also had and still have chondromalacia patellae (runner's knee).. This is caused by high amounts of stress placed on the knees ( I have it from running, skiing, and being on my feet all day).. The stress slowly wears your cartilidge away and then bone starts rubbing on bone.

I can tell you, that you will not solve a knee problem by getting a sulky. Actually, it may even be worse. All of the bumping around movement that a sulky gives is terrible for this type of knee problem and it just makes the pain worse. I would say skip the sulky and get a Z, if you can justify it. Like BruceC32 said, after a year or two of riding a Z, it feels like you have new knees!!

If you can't get a Z, I would recommend that you just keep walking (slow pace though), and possibly see your doctor to have some of the bone removed so it doesn't hurt as much.

5. Quality Cuts PLS

Quality Cuts PLS LawnSite Member

The Bullrider 2x2 by (www.trimmertrap.com) is a good sulky; can be used in fixed mode or castering mode, very beefy and durable. I think they cost about $350.00.
    Check out (www.greentouch.com) they have the AR100, $350.00.
    It is a sulky with an air bag for suspension.

6. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

qualtiy

that is exactly what I have, have you had any surgery for it, or anything besides strenghting your legs? My doc just gave me celebrex to take for it.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

grassin,

Yes I had surgery for it. Mine got so bad I couldn't walk, so I decided to have the surgery done. They just go under the knee cap and scrape away some of the bone to give your knee more room to flex.. Although it didn't make it much better, I can't hear the "clicking" anymore..

8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

TORO & EXMARK have or use to have a steerable sulky that you could attach to the rear of their WB mowers. I had one for a Toro 20 hp 52" hydro with t-bar steering it took a bit of getting use to but once you figured out how to back up it worked great and you would be mowing in the SEATED position, if memory serves I think it retailed for about $500.

BobR

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Get a sit down sulky, preferably with suspension/spring seat, a stand-up sulky won't help you.

One of my mowers (48" Metro, 14hp, belt drive) has Exmark's sit-down steerable spring seat sulky, and it is worth every penny. I originally bought a cheapo sit-down from Landscaper's Supply, and it worked, but the Exmark is a world of difference (you get what you pay for).

I also have a bad knee, and over the years all my mowers have been switched to riders. This helped me not destroy my knee while working, and I also make more money. My employees are happier too.

IMHO.

10. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

You might not want to hear this, but it looks like a Z rider may be your only alternative to stay ''hands on'' in the business. Demo a Z if you have never used one. I take vioxx for my knees.