Knee Replacement Surgery - Has Anyone Continued Mowing After it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Nov 3, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to have a "mini" knee replacement this winter. It is not as radical as a total knee, 2" incision, couple days in the hospital, quick recovery. Pictures look like they put wear-plates on each half of the joint.

I wondered if any one of you guys have had it and if you can keep mowing. I have only one small yard I have to walk, the rest I can mow with my ZTR.

2. slammerjax

slammerjax LawnSite Member

I've had a couple (three) operations on my knees. After an ACL rebuild I still ran marathons and triathlons...

There are two key points.

1. Work that knee as much as you can tolerate before surgury. The stronger your muscles are before cutting the faster your recovery will be.

2. Do what your Doc tells you to do. If he says stay off it for a month, then stay off of it. Work back into it slow and you will return to doing anything you did before hand.

A retirend Marine Sergeant Major I know had a double knee replacement in one shot. He was back to running and gunning within about six months.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm assuming that is the same surgery my wife had on both knees a few years ago whereby they replace half the joint, as one side generally wears out first (inside, I think).

She still has a little pain, but likely that is from arthritis in the remaining portion of the joint. You basically can do everything you did before, with a few restrictions, and I don't see why by next spring you will be as good as new. Probably better than you have been in some time.

Good luck.

4. KLawn

KLawn LawnSite Member

I had a hip replaced two years ago and i am going strong! I have 5 that I walk and the rest I ride.:walking:

5. Bgaz

Bgaz LawnSite Member

Had my hip replaced 3 years ago this Dec. First year was hell, but after that felt better then ever!

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i had a complete ACL reconstruction 2 years ago now. 2 surgeries later its the exact same knee. I can ski, play ball, everything and I don't need a brace.

but man I'll tell you what, between the surgery and rehab it was the most painful experience of my life...sometimes you just wanted to take a swing at the physical therapist....thats another thing...GO TO THERAPY or you'll have to go back under the knife like i did

7. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

I had both hips replaced one 6 yrs ago the other 3 yrs ago the first one three times till they got it almost right still in lawn and landscape business just a little slower got 2 18 yr olds working for me . never had a knee replacement you should be just fine . good luck and do what they tell you.

8. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

I think I need to have mine replaced, they kill me all the time. Three years ago I had two meniscus tears in one knee, and its never been the same. I think he made it worse. Do any of you know if you have to be a certain age before they will give you new knees?

9. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I started being told I was a candidate for replacement when I was about 35. The doc then told me 55-60 was the youngest because a replacement would last about 15 years and two replacements was the limit before you ran out of good bone to put it in. 16 years later (I'm 51) I think the surgery has progressed to the point that age is not as big of a factor. The mini replacement is a lot less invasive. They only take a portion of the bone off the top and bottom, not 2-3 inches.

Bottom line is that if you need it, you need it.