Knock on door

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassworks, Jan 11, 2003.

1. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

When I first started out I used to knock on each customers door or insist employee would before starting work. Over time I have gotten away from this as I started assuming they knew we were there ( reg. schedule) and did'nt need to come to the door just to say hi. Is it unprofessional just to show up and get started without greeting the customer ? No customer has complained , I just wonder what others think. ( obviously a new customer would certainly need an introduction ,but for established long term customers is it necesssary each week?).

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

i would say about 95% of amy accounts i never see them. I just send Invoice once a month.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Many times, I get a new account via a referral. I'll screen the caller, and if its maintnace, a lot of times, I'll do the bid w/out meetint the client. If this is the case, I make it a point to introduce myself the first time I'm on site and I see someone is there. Meet & greet is important. Other than that, unless we feel the client needs additional service, or that there is a problem w/ the account (prop damage, or other concern), I'm just as happy to see the checks each month. You don't get paid to go out of your way to socialize w/ your clientele each visit.
    I'm not saying to be rude, but a quick polite "hello", will go a long way too.

Bob

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

dude, i had a customer for 3 years, and never even met her. u r only there for 20, 25 min, dont knock, just mow and go

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I am almost inclined to say that it is more professional NOT to knock and bother the customers, than to knock. I don't know of any other service that does this. They will know you're there. But they shouldn't have to get up and answer the door for te obvious.

6. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Most of my customers I have only seen about once a year. If they want something extra they call or come out when they catch me working. I do most of the work when they are not home.( some on purpose). One lady I havent seen for 3 years, she just calls in the spring. I always go see them when they are new and explain to them that I will not bother them when I come to work.
    I also see what hours they work. That way I am not mowng the night shifter when they are sleeping.
    Its kinda like what the folks told us when we where kids."Be seen and not heard"

thanks
    Rick

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The only time that I knock on the door would be if they were a referral and we hadnt been formally introduced. I like my clients to have a face with the name.

I go around to have all contracts signed prior to beginning the season, and unless they happen to come to the door when we're mowing, we dont bother them --- and appreciaite it even more when they dont bother us as well.

Once you get into the big numbered client lists you wont have time to "meet-n-greet" them all because it will be hindering your production times. Theres enough that come out and say "Hey!" as it is, without us having to encourage it -LOL!!!

8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

You definately don't need to knock on their door every time. Unless there is a problem, I rarely see my regular customers. They know to catch me if they want. :D

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I usually don't even see my customers at all. I will meet with them when I come to give bids but thats usually the only time. I just send them a bill at the end of each month. I prefer not to see them while I'm servicing their lawn. I know that sounds rude but my schedule is tight, if they come out while I'm there, I usually just give a friendly wave or hello. I think they understand. I have found that about the only ones who will stop you to talk are the elderly. I think they are just lonely. I will shoot the bull for a few minutes but then I'll tell them got to get work.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have time to chit-chat. If I see them through a window or getting into their car, I'll wave. I am not saying you don't have to knock on the door if you feel like it. They'll know you're there soon enough though.

BTW, we have about 7 or 8 accounts we have never met the owners either over the years (9 now) too. Hey, as long as the checks keep coming every month and they don't need to talk to us, who cares? I'm there to mow the lawn...not keep them company. LOL