Know about the Billy Goat 33 inch?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Jul 19, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have the Billy goat 33inch mower? It says commercial on it but the dealer told me it actually isn't. I was thinking about getting one next year for me and or a helper. It's only about $1,000 and would get into many smaller gates my 36 wouldn't. It's only about 200 lbs too which would be easier to train someone on than my scag. Is it made any better than a homeowner mower or why would it say "commercial" on it then? I know of another lco near me that has one and says it's great. What do u guys think of this one?

2. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i would do a SEARCH on it, im sure this topic has came up in the past. IMO i would not ive heard they are not built too good.

3. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

DO NOT get the Billy Goat. I have a friend who brought one out to me house one time while we were just chatting about business. I used that thing for 30 seconds and thought it was a toy. It did not leave a very nice cut, and everything on it seemed non-commercial grade. I told him he needs to sell it immediately. That's my experience with the Billy Goat, but I would get more opinions before making a final decision.

4. MeadowsLawnCare

MeadowsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I seriously looked at buying a billy goat in the past few months. I went around to several dealers, researched online and on lawnsite, emailed billy goat ect. As far as it being non commercial I would say its built better than homeowner models but thats about it. I too had one dealer say it wasn't commercial but it appears billy goat reps don't do a good job educating their dealers. The website says its a commercial machine and it comes with a 1 year commercial warranty or 2 year homeowner. It has a 13hp briggs engine on it which will run good, not as good as a kaw but it will still get the job done. They are real easy to turn and control but imo and most other peoples opinion they leave a bad cut. Thats what unsold me on it. The deck design is poor and it mulches terriable. Side discharge is ok and I have not seen the bag. I asked myself in the end, what is size and easy controls gonna do if the lawn looks like crap when im done? So I bought the q36 and haven't regretted it since. Even if you only get the super fox, its 2k, hydro, better support, and way better quality. If 36 will not do for the gates maybe add a little more to your bid or look at a used 32" mower.

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I've had one and it was a good machine with a good quality cut !! It's a high end residential, or, entry level commercial machine ... if you're just starting in the business, give it a go !!

6. Rthomas1

Rthomas1 LawnSite Member
    from unknown

I got one a month ago. I like it alot gives a good clean cut. One thing i really like about it is its only 200 pounds so if it gets stuck u can just lift it or push it out. It is also gear drive so no wet slipping belts

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer had one is stock so I took a look at it and for what they were asking for it I wouldn't touch it!! I've seen better looking residential stuff out there. That thing didn't look like it would hold up for a couple months let alone a whole season. Spend the money and buy a name brand commercial mower like Toro, Exmark, Scag.

8. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I looked at them before I bought my quick 36. No comparrison in build quality and no where near the quality of cut.

-TAZ

9. lifetree

Just wait until early next year when BOP introduces the Quick 32" mower ... that will be awesome !!

10. lifetree

Yeah, compared to a Q-36, the Billy Goat would come in second ... the Quick mowers are higher quality, however, if your starting out, the Billy Goat would be a good entry level machine to !!