Know anything about a Toro Midmount ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JPexclusive, Sep 13, 2000.

1. JPexclusive

JPexclusive LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I am in the market for a new ZTR, and somebody mentioned a Toro midmount ztr. 23hp Kolher 62" deck. I really don't know much about Toro. Any advice will be appriciated....Thanks.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I use Dixie Choppers, but the engine you mentioned would be the one I would get if I got another gas engine on a Chopper or the new Honda 24 HP sounds mighty good too. From what my dealer says, the 23 Kohler is as powerful as a 25 Kohler, but holds up much better. It is supposed to be as reliable as the 22 HP Kohler, which I have on one of my Choppers.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I would go with the Exmark Lazer 60" Toros has not caught up yet in the ZTR mowers, in fact they bought Exmark , so they could take the Exmark Lazer and put Toro on it and then they added the Toro deck.

I'm not at all very trusting in Toro, they sold me a Z Master 325 and would not stand behind it at all. They would not even trade me out of it, by far it was the biggest piece of junk they've made so far.

The Toro ZTR do look great, but you well not like the service, compared to Exmark. Compare both mowers before you decide.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the advantage of this forum.

Had it been around earlier, MJB would never have gotten that POS 325 "Z-Master"

Do a search, we've beat this subject to death.

Bottom Line: The Toro 23/62 is a fine machine, just make sure you buy it for the right price. (Like $6500 or less) Otherwise get the Exmark.

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't ya get something with a Kawasaki on it?

6. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i took out a toro for a day and it had the 23 kohler on it, it was a fairly good machine but i still amd totally devoted to dixie. The hydro dampening system on all the other ZTR's just piss me off, i didnt like it from the first time i put one on my trailer.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree on the steering dampeners on these other brands. I've tried them out too and some are so hard to push, it's like your pushing the mower across the lawn. DC's new VTC machines don't even have the little springs they used to have. Talk about easy to operate, DC's are the easiest mowers I have operated ever.