1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Knowing when your in over your head?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drafto, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I was asked by a new customer to submit a proposal from a design idea I had for her front hill. The hill is very steep, rises 12' over 30' in one spot then softens from about 18' over 70' in another place. You may be able to tell from the pictures what I am talking about. She would like a large boulder (2'-3') wall like my plan below, I have never heard of an engineered dry laid boulder wall, but I am thinking I should contact an engineer prior to estimating. I am not sure if I am being too cautious or not. Have any of you ever laid a 2 tier boulder wall? I am just looking for some input. The bottom wall (neither wall is shown to scale) will be 90' long by 4' high, and the second which will be about 8 ' away from the first if 70' long by 4' high.

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have any experiance or advise for you but I will say that I would never buy a house that has a front and side yard with a hill like that one. No way.
  3. Drafto

It is about a 7000 Sq.Ft. $1.5 million dollar house with about $200,000 in hardscaping done to it, it is on 4 acres with an inground pool and about everything else you could ever ask for in a home except the front hill!

If I had the money....................I would probably still pick a flat lot.

4. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they like the not so flat lot. But one would think that if they can afford to spend 1.5 million then they could afford a flatter lot if they wanted one.

To each his own.
  5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Dan, call an engineer and ask the question. If you need the number of a good engineer, ask.
  6. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to get by without an engineer to inspect it. We've installed tiers of boulder walls similiar to what you are doing. The design looks good. As you, I've never heard of a engineered dry laid boulder wall either, and not sure there would be an engineer who could help as it would be hard to lay a grid down and most boulders by nature get locked into place by their own weight.
  7. Drafto

When I was speaking about an engineered wall, I was just referring to having an engineer help out with it. I was not thinking of laying grid, I too don't think it would be possible, sorry if the term "engineered wall" was used improperly.

8. B&G Lawn Service

B&G Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Where is this house located? I believe I have see this before. The development would not happen to be Turners Pond?
  9. Drafto

I don't remember the name of the development, it is in Greenville DE off of Owls Nest Road.

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Dan - I don't think an engineer can help you very much in this case. There are too many variables that are not "set in stone"(no pun intended) and are uncontrollable from an engineering standpoint. Just overbuild it. Make sure you have your drainage set and a decent batter on the boulders and you should be fine. Also, pay attention to your base. Here is one we did. It's not tiered, but.........