Kodiak C4500 Crew Cab Diesel Auto

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by force350z, May 19, 2005.

1. force350z

force350z LawnSite Member
    from nj

I just traded my 2000 Ford F350 to a 2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500 crew cab w/ Duramax 300HP Diesel and Allison Auto Trans. Does anyone uses this truck and if so what is your take on the truck. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

[​IMG]

3. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:p LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've been looking at travelling down that road, maybe a Kodiak 4500-5500 for my future in a small excavation business. I'd be curious to hear from anyone that uses them. I'd definately go Duramax/Allison combination as well. Anyone got any good pics of a nice Kodiak? I'm interested as well.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 05, 4X4 5500 crew cab. I can't go anywhere without someone saying how awesome the truck looks. To say that it is a head turner is an understatement. Initially I was not pleased with the power or mileage. I bought a programmer and it appears to have helped both at least somewhat. It is rough riding compared to my 3500 which is understandable. There are a lot of rattles. There is no storage area inside the truck that is secure. No glove box, no center console just small useless holes everywhere that really is annoying. The steering is much more active than the 3500 that took some getting used to. The 5500 is a rock solid towing platform. I had 21K on a 5th wheel trailer behind it and there is no sagging in the suspension, very stable when towing. Tons of room inside the truck.

I have not had any reliability issues but I only have about 3K on it. What concerns me is that I have seen some threads with guys that have had problems. Most seem to be 03 4500s, guess we'll see.

6. evan price

evan price LawnSite Member

I am running a LEASED 2005 C4500 lo-pro with 300hp Duramax & Allison trans, with the 17500 GVW and a 18' flatbed on it. I get in the mid teens for fuel mpg, it has lots of power, but it won't go over 70 mph downhill, the governor kicks in, and GM won't turn it up. Kinda sucks when you hit hilly country you need to keep speed up and you can't start over 70 so you wind up slowing down. Reliable, rides nice even loaded, holds the road well. Did have a defective wheel from GM that was out of round, also had a problem with it vibrating so much it would mix a milkshake if you left a drink in the console, problem was resolved. GM put on 6 lo-pro tires, they were a Bridgestone all-position drive type M&S tire that was supposedly OK for steer axles also, I took off the steers and put on the Michelin steer Lo-Pros I use on my other trucks, they ride like glass. That solved it. I get lots of people asking me what I think about the truck, I drove the Hino (This with the 5-spd was my second choice!!! Turns on a dime and gives you a nickle change!), the Isuzu NPR/GM W4, the Mitsubishi Fuso, and this truck, I've had Kodiak/Topkicks before and not impressed especially with gas motors. This Duramax & Allison is one kickass combo with the C4500 new front and chassis. It runs better, it turns better, and has more visibility. Plus it looks "newer" than even a brand new NPR or equivilant truck looks, and I find customers like me rolling up in a "newer" truck, I look more reliable/professional/prosperous.

7. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

How much a month is it for the lease? What are the terms? (lenght, miles, use). Im thinking of getting either the new 4x4 ones or a 1 ton when Im done with college in 2 years.
    Thanks
    James

8. evan price

I am at $845 a month including the body, I have a full service lease with maintenance included at $.06/mile. This covers everything but fuel. The lease company is local to me and they are outstanding at doing maintenance and keeping records & even a free backup truck when mine is in the shop, and they let me borrow a 26' box truck for free when I needed to move my office. That cost also includes a electric/hydraulic tailgate, so I don't need ramps to load my eqpt. Just drive on tailgate, push up button, drive onto flatbed. It's REALLY nice. I use cheap used IBC tanks to hold chemicals and water for irrigation, I can load them with a pallet jack and put them where I need them. I buy a lot of my mulch bagged by the skid load. I can unload and move around with a pallet jack in parking lots so no need to truck around a Bobcat with forks on it when I do office parks or a business with hard surfaces.

9. evan price

Forgot to mention, my depreciation is calculated at 1% or $465 a month, I am allowed 50,000 miles a year (And I'll use about 36K-40K annually or so by my projections), my buyout is 40% original value (which was $46,500 so my buyout is $18,600 after 5 years).