1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Koh,Brigs,Honda,Kaw:whos making best eng?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 9, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Rate them and tell what problems u may have had.
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

every mechanic who I've talked to said that engines line up like this: honda, kawasaki, kohler, briggs, techumseh.
  3. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Thats how i see it. I would even say that hondas and kaws are slightly ahead of the pack.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

watch out for the twin cylinder hondas.
    rental co's here are having lots of problems with the twins
  5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

From what i use, Honda's are the best for me, Just bought a new exmark, which has a kawasaki on it, haven't really used it but they seam pretty strong, and for the worst, it would have to be the briggs. They are plain garbage.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On small engines the Honda is good, but so is the Robin 2 stroke. In the 15hp size the kohler may last just as long as Kaw. The big counterweight on the kaw puts big loads on the top bearing on the crank and wears causing problems. And replacement cost of kaw is much higher than the $550 for kohler.
  7. cmras24

cmras24 LawnSite Member

Honda, Kawi.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Briggs vangaurd 2000 plus hours no problems they will use a little oil.
  9. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

kohler has allways been a good brand to go with. I've got a 15hp kawasaki v twin that's 1 year old that's been giving me problems. i don't care for the plactic parts they use on them anymore, can break too easy. briggs has been an ok engine, and hondas, the only use I've had with them is on pumps and sprayers, never had a problem with them on the smaller equipment. their pretty easy on gas which is a big plus to me.
  10. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I have a JD with a 14 HP KAW
    E-MARK 17 HP KAW
    BOBCAT 15 HP KOHLER,I guess you know what I like!Only my .02 worth! :waving: