Kohler 12.5 question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by martyman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I was going to sell this machine not running, but I've decided to fix it up and use it this summer. This engine would start every time first pull (better than my Ferris) until after sitting for a few months. I went to pull it and nothing...I have a feeling it's the coil? I try to pull the plug out and see if I can see a spark but I can't, but if I put the plug back in it will puff smoke, but gives no indication that it wants to go. There is lot's of compression and I know it's getting fuel (yes I put a new plug in it)...do you think I'm right and it's the coil?

thanks Marty

Picture 168.jpg

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Have you tried fresh fuel in the tank, sometimes old , stale gas doesnt do good, also check the air filter, thoose really catch alot of dirt and if its stopped up the engine wont start either

3. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Yep put the best fuel in it...cleaned fuel the filter...even tried putting some fuel in the spark hole...nothing.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you've made sure that electricity is getting to the spark plug right? I've had a couple of cases where the wire that goes into the spark plug as pulled out or gotten sleightly disloged and it has done what your saying. how do you know it's getting compression? did you use a compression tester? or are you determining by how hard it is to pull the recoil? make sure that fuel is getting to the engine too.

5. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

How many hours on this Martyman?

Joe :cool2:

6. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I don't know how many hours...no meter. I think its a 1995-1998 model.

7. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Put a new engine on it,if you plan on keeping it! Cheaper than a new mower,, :)

8. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

If you're sure it's got good compression, sounds like it might be flooded.

9. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Read the " Hard Start " thread in the Mechanic and Repair forum.
    That may help also.

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, if you really can't get it to work, put a new engine on. it should be a snap.