Kohler 12hp. Welder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Butch1957, May 11, 2006.

1. Butch1957

Butch1957 LawnSite Member

On a Kohler 12hp. Horizontal Shaft ( older type ) welder ( K 241 P ), how does one separate the engine from the welder ?

Oil pan needs to come off. Can anyone provide the procedures ?

Please Respond.

Thanks.

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

generally, the armature needs to come off the crank, which is usually a taper fit. generator spec engines are almost always like this. there is most likely a long bolt to hold the armature to the crank, remove this, then there should be a threaded hole in the armature. put a bolt (at least grade 5, grade 8 is best) in that hole and tighten it slowly. that should push the armature off the crank. tapping the bolt with a small hammer might be necessary. in some cases, a slide hammer is needed. i have the silver slapper, it works well.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I remove all generator armatures by gaining access to the flywheel bolt or nut on the engine, Then loosen the center bolt on the armature a couple turns. Put a socket on the flywheel bolt and give it a whack. The armature will pop right loose. Leaving the thru bolt in but loose keeps the armature from popping off and hitting the floor ect. and damaging the windings or slip rings.
    Of course your welder will have to be stripped to nothing but the armature hanging on the engine.

BTW, Why does the pan need to come off ?

4. Butch1957

I need to put rings in this unit and could probably do so by taking off the bottom plate/cover. This would be more simplified and easier. But I noticed that the valve clearance adjuster is always loose and can be turned easily with the finger. I tried tightening it with it's locking style turn but for some reason it keeps turning easily once the engine turns a few revolutions. This engine will not run. After doing a valve lapping job, my max compression is 40lbs. The one who had it before left it out in the rain and the crankcase had water in it. Pretty tight ( complete ) engine but just not enough compression. I believe the rings might have collasped.

Any suggestions/comments ?

Thanks for Any InPut !

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You got a PM.....

6. Butch1957

Older type kohler. 40lbs compression when pulled with rope. I have heard that there is a compression release that kicks in once engine is running. Not sure if this is correct.

Not sure what you mean by "PM" RestroRob.

Please Respond.

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

"Private Message" look near the top right of the page. i'd be interested in the compression after you suirt a little oil in the cylinder, that will help seal the piston to the cylinder for diagnostic purposes. if the compression comes way up, then its getting past the piston and rings. if it doesnt, then probably valves or head gasket.