Kohler 14 Help... I am an Idiot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dacker, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dacker

dacker LawnSite Member

Ok please be gentle, I just acquired a toro 44" commercial mower yesterday. It has a 14 HP Kohler commander on it. Now here comes the idiot part..... I cranked the sucker and ran it for probably 3 or 4 minutes and it runs great then and only then do I decide hey idiot youd better check the oil. Anyways it was about 1/2 to 1 quart low so I drained it to see how much it held other than that and it looked like a good bit more. My question is do you guys think I have hurt anything? I mean after I made sure it was the correct amount like I should have done before it still ran excellent. Are these things built to where if you run them a little low like that it wont hurt them. Thanks for your help. Dale BTW the mower was given to me I know TORo aint the best but free is always better!!!!!!! :D

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If you bought it new I would return it to the dealer. If it was used it probably ran for far longer on the 1/2qt oil than 3-4 minutes. As long as it didn't seize, or start knocking it should be fine.

3. dacker

dacker LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I cant return it because the mower was given to me and no it didnt seize which is good i even cut a few rounds in the yard with it after the little incident. The only thing that even came close to a knock was everytime I shut it off, up in the area where the pull start is (I guess the flywhheel area) it clanged (made a metal to metal hiting sound) a few times, which it still does but only when I shut the motor off as it is stopping. But again thanks for that reply and any more opinions are welcome.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

If you didnt exp any loss of power or metal to metal noise while running you are proabably ok, just keep a good check on the oil

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you are an idoit.

6. dacker

dacker LawnSite Member

And that coming from an 18 year old. Geez Boy dont you need to be doing homework or something!!! Or wait I think I hear your mom calling. Yes all this is uncalled for but then again so is your sarcasm!!! Thanks for the Reply Grass Cutting Fool

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen Newbie, I've ran Toro mowers for years and have has very few problems. It just pisses me off when people say they arn;t any good. I can;t believe you checked my profile to my age, get a life.

8. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

It sometimes happens to the best of us. :)

I think you should be alright. The first sign of trouble is a light knocking sound--More like ticking. This would be the rod bearing and the first to suffer low oil damage.

9. dacker

dacker LawnSite Member

K thanks CCWKen havn't heard anything yet but I will keep a check..... Thanks for the reply

10. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Whats done is done, don't worry about it. Fill it up and run it, no worries.