Kohler 16 hp timing belt question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pap4464, Nov 2, 2003.

1. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

Guys,
    I have a Giant-Vac Leaf loader with a Kohler 16 hp twin OHC. My carbuerator solenoid went out and had to be replaced. To get to this part the easiest way was taking the fly wheel sreen off and the timing belt. We re-installed the timing belt and flywheel as indicated in the Kohler service manual. Now the engine starts, but emits alot of black smoke and won't run full throttle. Could the timing still be off possibly? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Usally an engine that is out of time won't start. I suspect your problem lies in the carburetor. Sounds like its too rich. Check your choke and make sure it is opening.

3. taylob

taylob LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Check all the linkage and make sure something isn't binding up. Then go back and check you timing. The timing can be off a tooth and will run fine except under load. Start at the crankshaft with the timing mark at 12:00 position, make sure the holes in the cams are lined up. Then wrap the belt from the crank to the oil pump gear then to the number one cam, over to the number two cam ending up with all the slack of the belt between the number two cam and the idler pulley. Tighten the pulley to thirty - forty inch pounds of torque and the bolt to hold the idler at 65 inch pound of torque. If you don't do it this way the belt, when tightened will twist the cams and they won't be lined up properly.

4. hc841

hc841 LawnSite Member
    from oh

MAKE SURE THE MAIN JET WAS PUT BACK IN WHICH IS WHERE YOUR FUEL SOLENIOD IS LOCATED