Kohler 16HP magnum

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by HPI_Savage25, Nov 29, 2012.

1. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

Ok so I have a Walker with a 16hp kohler magnum on it. Up until the other day it has always ran great. Now I get about 20minutes of runtime and it wants to spit and sputter, run on choke, and then cut off. I replaced the air filters and the fuel filter....thought it fixed it but it started acting up again...any ideas?

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like the fuel cap is not venting. Try running with the cap cracked open a bit. Did ya check for spark right after it dies?
    Could be water in the gas/carb bowl. Pull/drain the bowl and see what ya get.

3. HPI_Savage25

Yeah I drained the bowl on it yesterday. Maybe ill drain it again. Ill check the gas cap in the morning and see how it does. I appreciate the tip
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. BigFish

I always drain the bowl into something to check for water or trash.
    Tuna cans come in handy, 'cause they're shallow and easy to fit under the bowl/nut.

5. HPI_Savage25

Well it isn't the fuel cap...it ran about 15mins today and started acting up. Removed the fuel cap and it was still being a pain. Finally loaded it up and said heck with it. Made for a long day...I love my walker for doing lead cleanups and that's what I had lined up today. Guess ill be pulling the carb off and going through it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BigFish

Well, did ya ?

7. HPI_Savage25

Not yet, as soon as it started acting up it went straight to the trailer and we finished the current job up. I will run it today till it acts up and check for spark
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. HPI_Savage25

Got it fixed. It ended up being the fuel shut off valve, it was clogged up with debris.

I appreciate the help fish.