1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 16HP motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by R&R LawnCare, May 7, 2005.

1. R&R LawnCare

R&R LawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    I am in need of a 16HP kohler motor for my Walker mower. The motor that is in there now leaks oil and from what my shop says, it is shot :realmad: . (only 1700 hrs on it). I thought that the motor should have lasted longer :angry: . Anyway I would like to get another motor for the mower but I can't seem to find one. I don't want a 18HP because of the retro kit. So if anyone can tell me where I might find one that would be great.
    The mower is only 6yrs old. Thanks for your help.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ok Bruce Have you thought about a shortblock engine ?
    Post your model and spec. numbers and i'll go to my dealer website and see what I can find. These numbers are needed to locate the proper replacement engine also.

A 14yr Master Service Technician
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Before I got my MC unit it had a 16HP that failed. They but a 18HP on the unit and think that is the smart thing to do. I doubt if you have many options ...that 16HP was overloaded I would guess. What retrofit are you talking about. The only thing I see is maybe a air filter tube extension kit and a cutout in the hood over the engine. Then maybe lift up the hopper a little bit with some angle iron. I like the fact that there is a cut out over the engine maybe the unit will run cooler. I would NOT put in shortblock for 16HP!!
  4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Rob, why no PM or email access to you? Just wondering, and had to ask here since.. well, the initial question explains that.
  5. Restrorob

I don't know why ! I went to my user cp and clicked it on,I'm not sure what I need to do to get it working ! Any Help ?
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, 1700 hours on your engine.

You probably set a world record for the number of hours on a 16HP Kohler twin in a Walker.

This engine can be updated and I think that would be the best thing to do and the 18HP is just the turn of a screw away from 20HP.

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Go to "User CP". Click on "Edit Options". Then fill out the page long form. Click on "Save Changes" at the bottom.
    If you do not click on "Save Changes" the form resets to default
  8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to start a new thread but this is on almost the exact same lines as I was going to take it.

I have a 16hp kohler in my walker. I was thinking of upgrading it to an 18 or 20. When I looked at the spec sheet of the 18 and the 20 they both have the same displacment and torque ratings. I have noticed this on other engines as well. Where then does the extra hp come from and how is it better? What would be the purpose of paying more for the same specs on virtually the same engine?
  9. Restrorob

Kohler put a 18hp decal on the 20hp engine because the mass merchants wanted a 18hp engine on there units.Rather than design and build another engine they took the cheep way out and printed the decal,It was a pull the wool over their eyes kinda thing ! There is no difference in the two.
  10. R&R LawnCare

R&R LawnCare LawnSite Member

I will get those for ya. This just gets to me, I only put 700hrs on the mower the first 3 yrs. I have replaced both drives TWICE. I like the mower. Hell my Snapper 36in Deck mowers are well over 15yrs old and STILL have the original Kawasaki engines. I did notice that Walker is using the Kawasaki on there new walk behind.
    Anyway when I get back to my mower on Monday I will get those numbers.

Thanks Guys. Bruce