1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kohler 18 20 and 22 COMMAND ENG

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Sep 19, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

on looking at the specks of these motors they have exactly the same. i mean no diff in manifold ,carb or anything.
    now changing 18 to 20 is a matter of eliminating a throttle limiter screw. does this in fact move it to 22 or is there another
    something that hold the exact same motor to 20 versus 22.
    i really would like someone in the know to help me here.
    for those who want to see that they are the same ,go to yetman and click on the 18 20 22 they are listed togather .
    thanks ahead of time.TM
  2. Tony

Tony LawnSite Member

Great work, the 18 and 20 are the same except for the limiter, if you remove the limiter you must also reset the govenors. However the 22 Hp Kohler is a 41.1 Cubit inch engine while the 20 Hp is only a 38 cubit inch . The 20Hp bore is 3.03 inches and the 22 is 3.15 inches however the stoke is the same, maybe you can bore a 20 out to a 22, I don't know.
    P.S. Kohler didn't want you to know about the 18 HP.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thanks tony . i knew something had to be different
    again somebody on lawnsite comes thru.
    by the way im tony also to my friends.later now:)
  4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

There is two different CH22's. Some start with spec # 66--- and the other is 76---. The later (76) is a larger bore. The first acheived the extra hp with using smart spark ignition which would allow ignition timing to change. The large bore 22 does not have smart spark and achieves the extra power by displacement. I do not know if the 20 horse block can be bored to the 22 large bore spec, don't know if the cast iron liner is thick enough.
  5. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

Did they use two different blocks, one for the twenty and one for the twenty two? I would guess not, if the cast iron sleeve fit the twenty it would also fit the twenty two, is this a correct assumption?