Kohler 18 HP Magnum Ignition Trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 82851, Jun 27, 2008.

1. 82851

82851 LawnSite Member

I am working on a Craftsman Model NO 917.2559101 Garden Tractor which we purchased in approximately 1988 new from Sears. The engine is a Kohler 18 HP Magnum (#M18S-24576). The engine seems to still be in good condition... doesn't smoke, use oil or have any unusual noises.

It has been very dependable for 20 years (light duty), but recently started missing on one cylinder. Replacing the plugs did not help. Next, I checked the plugs for spark and found that the spark looked weak and blue on the good cylinder... the other cylinder had such a weak spark that I had to look hard to see it at all. The plug with the weak spark was coated in black carbon and the other one looked pretty normal (mostly white).

The fuel pump works well when the engine is cranked and the compression seems to be fine... although I didn't check it with a gauge. I went to the local Kohler service center and was told that the coil was the problem. I invested in a Kohler replacement coil and installed the replacement as soon as it arrived but now I have no fire at all.

I downloaded a shop manual online which states the the coil's gap should be set between .008 - .012. Tried .012 and .010 with no luck at all.

Double checked all connectors and they're fine.

Check the regulator connector... hooked up.

Removed the kill wire from the coil and cranked... no luck (replaced it).

Supposed to be electronic ignition (no points?)

Starter works well, new battery and tested the grounding with an illuminated tester... all looks good.

I'm not sure about my next move at this point. ANY help would be deeply appreciated.

Looking forward to your reply,
    Chris A