1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 20 hp leaking oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Nov 25, 2006.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a kohler 20 hp horizontal engine which leaks some oil either around the oil filter or somewhere around the fins which are beside the oil filter. Any suggestion about where it might be leaking oil. I have checked and the oil filter is tight. I couldn't find any evidence of any gaskets near the oil cooling fins. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it have a oil cooler on it? May be the cooler adapter? Who knows - I don't have the model # of the engine? If you can't find the leak go to NAPA and buy a can of 3M brake cleaner spray and clean up the whole area. Then keep a sharp eye on it. Good luck.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Since you speak of fins, I will assume it has the oil cooler as khouse mentioned. Remove the filter then you will see a hex, Use a deep socket or boxed end wrench only and remove the filter adapter and the cooler will come off. Replace the gasket between the cooler and engine block, But be careful in removing the old gasket for you don't want deep scratches in the gasket surfaces.
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Your right Restrorob - I missed his discription of seeing the fins.
  5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Sounds like something I can handle.
  6. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

Also check the pan gasket where the oil feeds through the pan to the block.