Kohler 20 hp runs funny when hot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turf9, Jan 30, 2004.

1. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Have any of you had trouble after about 1 to 1.5 hours of cutting.The engine surges almost like vapor lock, Then other times it just runs fine the whole week? Are there recommended run times for these things. I always keep it clean and maintained.I was thinking something with the governor.Like I say its only sometimes Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I sometimes (but rarely) have the same occurences with my machines (not just kohler). Cant offer any advise though. Dont know what causes it. If I had to guess, I figure either gov or carb adjustment. Hopefully someone has more knowledge on this.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

When that happens to my engines it's usually because the cooling fins are all gunked up with leaves and grass.

4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I experiance Hunting in the rev range too. As you say..........It's intermitanted. Just surges when It fells like it. It's a 25 Kohler.

I put it down to small amounts of water in the fuel. You can't really help this as I've found out that condensation will build up in any gas container if it's temp changes leading to water in your fuel. The only way to stop this is to keep ya jerry cans full all the time and that just isn't practical.

I could be wrong.

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My new 17 Kawi does that. It's been back to the dealer twice now and needs to go back a third time. They tell me "it's just the gov trying to find the load". My other 17 Kawi doesn't do it so, back it goes again. I figure for 5-6 thousand dollars it should be right! Good luck with yours.

6. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys I think I found somthing to do this afternoon,take some sheet metale off the top of this thing and see if it is clean.Finally the sun came out

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Surging in my experience is usually because the engine is leaning out. I would first spray carb cleaner around the carb and intake, if the R.P.M. changes then you are sucking air[ thus runniing lean]. If this does not effect anything I would pull the carb as there likely might be crap in the bowl and a fuel passage, again causing a lean situation. Tom

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: ican also be a bad intake or head gasket. tony

9. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

I'm taking this opp to ask another walker specific question.Any of you have a 48" 1998ish deck I was wondering how much free play do you have on the timing of the bades Just off the top of your heads .The reason I ask is you guys seem to Know more about this stuff than the dealers.Round here any ways And between you and me I like working on my stuff anyways. Thanks Again for any input.