Kohler 20 smokes when cold

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by East Coast Lawn Choppers, Mar 27, 2008.

1. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

We got our Turf Tracer out this spring... and when it first starts it gives a pretty good puff of smoke, after that clears it doesn't smoke at all. We can run it at full throttle cutting, and no smoke. Let it sit for a few minutes and when it fires up it gives a puff...
    Would that be valve seals ?

2. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

Looks like it ends up being a design flaw of Kohler... The oil gets past the rings when they sit due to the location of the oil passages on the pistons. It appears they corrected this on the newer ones by putting them on the sides not the top and bottom (when laying in the bore in position). When they sit the oil sitting on the cylinder walls seeps thru the oil passages on the oil scraper rings and gets above the piston. When it fires it smokes, then no problem until it gets shut off again...

3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I have had six or seven kohler powered z's and all but one of my older ones does the same thing. Nice to know others have the same issue. Has never posed a problem though.

4. Chris "Greenville"

Chris "Greenville" LawnSite Member

I have a 22 hp Kohler engine that smokes badly when i'm going up a hill. It only has 15 hours on it. It runs fine otherwise. It's really embarrassing when i'm at one of my customers houses that has a huge hill in the front yard of a really nice neighborhood. A plume of smoke comes out as I turn to go back up the hill. By what I'm reading this is OK? The engine is an 07' courage. I just changed the oil and it's a little below the full mark on the stick. Thanks, Chris

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Chris,

Nice looking late model! You run any specials in your neck of the woods?

Anyway, back to you post. What Exmark model do you have (model number and serial number)? I'm not sure how long ago we had a 22hp Kohler in the line.

Thanks,
    KC