Kohler 20HP on 52" deck - opninions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkr1, Feb 26, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Looking for people who own the Exmark 52" w/20HP Kohler. I've seached and found varying opinions on the Kohler - some good, some bad. So, for anyone who has the 20hp Kohler, can you give me some honest feedback. Like, is there plenty of power when cutting, any problems, opinions, etc... My other option is to get the 21hp Kawa w/48" deck. (Note: mower will be used for my lawn only)

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a Kohler 20hp on a Walker and it has been a great engine. Now have 650 troublefree hours on it. This 20hp engine and a Kohler 22hp engine on another ZTR , are the two best Kohler engines that I have ever had.:D

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I have, or have had, 7 Kohler CV20's and haven't had a lick of trouble with any of them. 6 of them are or were on my S'burb'n Turb'ns and I have one on a Hustler Shortcut with 54" deck. All these engines have performed flawlessly and none use a drop of oil between changes. Highest recommendation for 20HP Kohlers from me...............Lynn

4. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Great - I think I'll go for the 20hp Kohler unit then.

5. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older SCAG 52" walkbehind with 20HP and it has had plenty of power. Hope this helps.

6. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lazer Z 52" deck w/ 20hp Kohler.
    I have 160 hrs on it and no problems.
    Never had to change air filter(yet) I change the oil and filter every 25 hrs.
    Has been a great mower. The only time I ever bogged it down was in thick wet leaves from Oak trees.
    But only for a second. lol

7. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Great - I think I'm going with the 20HP 52" over the 21HP Kaw 48" deck. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your 20 hp Kohler w/52" deck?

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

$7,030.00 That included tax.