kohler 20hp running rough

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Dec 1, 2007.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

My 20hp kohler on a 42" walker started running rough and the governor seems to be hunting, I had it at the shop, new filters all around, new plugs, and 89 octane fuel. The shop adjusted the rpms and it sometimes smooths out when it is warmed up. Any ideas?

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello ,providing the engine is mechanically ok an out of adjustment governor will hunt the engine as u have described. Follow the instructions from kohler 4 your model of engine .

tomo:waving:

3. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

How would i check the carb for water in the bulb?

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, remove carby top on machine .
    Are u refering to the bulb or water in the bowl .
    Cleanout as required .
    Check the bulb floats in a cup of fuel ,if so ok .

## when u pull apart the carby
    1/ u will need o rings 4 the brass emulshion tubes which will come out with either the top or stay with the main body upon dissasembly.As they can be inserted incorrectly u will need a manual 4 correct installation.

2/ donot touch the metal tag on the end of the float . This sets the float bowl level . Although it may pay to adust level if needed . There is a procedure 4 this, DONOT guess .

tomo:waving:

5. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

First i would check out the governer the clean out the carb, and if the problem is still there then adjust the low end screw.

6. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Sounds like you have an intake leak on the intake manifold where it bolts to the head. If all else has failed. Scene this many times on high hour engines. I have seen one of the bolts all the way out and they still run under load, but they run all sorts of screwy without load. If caught quick enough, new gaskets will take care of it.