kohler 20hp smoking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TeamFla, Mar 2, 2005.

1. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

We have a 48" Exmark w/20 hp Kohler Command. It just over 1 year with only 200 hours, it has began to use oil and smoke more than just at start up, almost steady now. Currently using 10w-30 oil. Oil was changed 20 hours ago. Any suggestions, or does this sound familar to anybody?
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If it's blowing blue smoke continuously, it probably has a broken piston ring. Check the warranty. Since it has very low hours the factory might cover the repair. Either way I would let a mechanic do a compression check on the engine to determine if it is indeed a broken ring.
  3. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

befor you dig to deep on this problem check the oil. since this is the off season for most of us , sometimes you forget to close the fuel valve and if the float sticks if will flood the chamber and fill the crank case ive seen this happend many times so start with that
  4. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

Thanks for your info. I don't think that the oil is the problem, we really don't have an off season in Fla. still running the machine every/or every other day now. Rings maybe? Time for the shop to take a look at er ? :dizzy: :dizzy:
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A friend of mine just had this happen, they put a new shortblock and 1 new head on. I'll ask him the details later today. It had like 110 hours on it.