1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kohler 20hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by clay duncan, Jul 22, 2006.

1. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a walker mower with a 20 hp kohler. most of the time the motor runs perfect but when mower is really hot and pushed hard i get a tapping sound which i think is a stuck lifter. motor started doing this last season and i also tried snythetic oil. is this something i need to fix?. my mechanic said some kohlers just make that noise. what do you guys and gals think?...clay

ps. motor uses no oil or smokes.
  2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

More Accurate engine#'s will provide you with more responces, but what oil was being used before the switch to synthetic? And how often was it changed? If this is a CH20 or CV20 then I only use 10W30-10W40 for older units. Also you may have a hydraulic lifters that need replacing.
  3. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

ch20. mower is a 2003 with 900 hrs. oil has been changed every 50 hrs and filter was changed every 100. 10w30 is the only weight oil ever run.
  4. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

That all sounds good:) , as far as the lifter noise goes I tend to see this more on CV models but If it is real bad on your CH and you plan on changing them out make sure your dealer has the newest Stanadyne lifter as the Delphi produced lifters where to hard and were wearing down cam lobes. Sorry I don't have the item# off hand.
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,it would also be a good idea to have oil pressure checked,my walkers run 40-45 psi running 10-40 oil . Unlikely to be a problem but does not hurt to check.Typically noises in valve train on a ch version as mentioned by other posts are from valve train wear, you could try lifters only but if lifter base is worn in a concave[even slightly] manner change cam also.As others have mentioned seek proffesional advice.tomo
  6. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I remember reading on here that people with Kohler engines should use an oil with some kind of anti-foam agent??? Was suggested to use Kohler brand oil. It has everything you need.