Kohler 22HP knocking noise

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Snapper Jack, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK Mr Jack..... Now we have a OLD rebuilt shortblock, The more information anyone can provide helps US help YOU ...... That includes any numbers when requested, Besides it's you asking for help not us.....

Here's some information for you-all...... A engine SPEC number and SERIAL number tells us.....in the know..... all sorts of info about the engine in question, Remember.....We can't SEE- TOUCH or HEAR this engine. Most all support documentation is filed under SPEC and SERIAL numbers, Sooo.....HP rating doesn't mean nothing in some cases, That's why numbers are requested......

Hopefully a new set of lifters will solve your issue......

Good Luck!

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

You're preaching to the chior....Amen.....

I have built engines for Don Garlits engine builder..engineers from Nasa..and even have people drive in from RestroRob ville (just because they can't find him ).... All these guys are tops in their field....
    They could surely do the work themselves...but they understand the limits of their abilities and would rather have someone with a thorough knowlege of small engines build it once...and build it right...

Amen ......

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The answer is....
    The L shaped plug would not affect the oil passage on the #1 intake lifter if installed on the newer command twin verticle block..
    The older blocks had the oil passage drilled higher in the block..which intermittently allowed the small air pocket that formed naturally...or from foamy oil.... in the top of the block.. to disrupt the oil flow to the lifter...
    The only harm would be the waste of time and money..

RestroRob...to be perfectly honest..I haven't gotten too many engine builds from RestroRobville in the last few years...if the economy is not the problem..I must assume that my former customers have become RestroRob customers....
    Unless of course...those engines are still running....:weightlifter:

4. Restrorob

Yeah.... I knew that Slapper, I was being a smart ahmm.......

5. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

I believe I found the problem,do you know if the gasket for the new separator plate in the up-dated kit can be purchased separately or do I have to purchase the whole kit again?

6. Restrorob

At the time this kit came out and re-designed blocks were introduced the original gasket was superseded to part # 24 0414 50-S, This will be the updated gasket and work with the kit.....

7. Snapper Jack

Thank You! That's the gasket left over in the OH kit. I seem to have misplaced the directions in how the rubber piece is to be inserted into the oil channel,do happen to know that? This part is where my problem lies I believe,not 100% positive but close enough to be handed that "BoneHead"throphy :laugh: If that does turn out to be my problem, how that lifter ran pumped up all last season is beyond me,must of been:sleeping: while assembling that section.

8. Restrorob

CORRECTION...... The proper number is; 24 041 50-S.....

I was typing around a 32oz cup of tea in front of my keyboard......

Do I know how the plug goes ?

Install this way;

[​IMG]

9. Snapper Jack

Yeah, I tried that # had to drop the last 4. The way you have the plug insert is the way I installed it and it work great till I changed the oil and have no explanation has to why the top #1 lifter refused to pump up. After dismantling that side and turning the engine over watching for oil seepage through the feed hole,nothing happened. The only way for that top lifter to receive oil using that plug following the installation instructions would be to drop and drill a new feed channel 1/8". What I did was to reverse the installation of the plug to re-open the oil feed and channel the pressured oil along the inside the inner channel rib for the #1 bank in creating a little reservoir for the oil to remain there until restarting thus reducing the time the lifters receive's the oil in preventing the clattering.

The engine is back up and running will all lifters pumped up and clatter free.
    Thank You! for your help. I'm a tea drinker myself,so cheers.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013