Kohler 23 Command Bogs Under Load

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Korey, May 19, 2009.

1. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Did a very extensive search while trying to diagnose the problem so if anyone knows a thread this was already discussed in, please feel free to post it here.

Engine is a CV23S-75590 that is brand new which served as a replacement for a 25hp Kohler that was on a Great Dane Chariot w/61 inch deck. It seems to run fine unless the blades are engaged then bogs down and blows a bit of black smoke out the muffler and blows a bit of gas out the carb when the pto is engaged. I checked the governor and carb to make sure they were properly adjusted and took the belt off the clutch, but the engine ran normally. Checked the plugs and they were really sooty.

Whenever the control levers are firmly applied or when the mower is going uphill, I can feel the wheel motors/pumps squealing as if the engine doesn't have power. It didn't do this when I had the 25hp kohler but it did bog down at the end of its service life of 2660hrs which is why I had to replace it. I expected to get very similar power out of the 23 but this is not the case. These Chariots came with the 23 or 25hp option so I'm thinking either something is improperly adjusted or simply not working. Thanks in advance.

2. carl b

carl b LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have the same motor with mine the accelerator pump in the carb. was bad than i replaced it . it went bad 150 hours later . new carb. about 800 hours ago its been fine

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What is the wide open throttle no load RPM set at ?

4. Korey

I have no idea since I don't have a tach- these engines only have the idle adjustment screws which are both set to the factory specs.

5. Restrorob

LOL, I know all about these engines.....

If you don't have a tach you should purchase one Tiny Tach or take the unit by a shop and have them check the high speed RPM and adjust if needed.

If the RPM's are set too low that could cause your lugging problem, Dixie Chopper sets all Kohlers at 3750 no load just to give you a figure.

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hi
    non contact infared tacho
    Uses a light beam onto reflective tape [works on diesel or any part that rotates ]
    30--50 $$

The govenor has to be set up >>>>>as per factory instructions >>>>>
    NO GUESSING

The governor spring cannot be changed . KOHLER springs are colour coded
    SPRING must be installed in the correct holes on the linkage PERIOD

tomo:waving:

7. Korey

I could adjust the screw that's on the throttle linkage which works with the throttle stop to increase rpms, but isn't there another way to increase high speed rpm? Manual doesn't say anything about it. Would that cause gasoline to blow (mist) out the carb and traces of black smoke coming out the muffler? Thanks again.

8. Korey

Engine is under warranty so I took it in to have it looked it. Will update once I find out from them what the problem is.

9. Korey

Just got an email from the shop that's doing the warranty work and they said the muffler is bad. I can understand a bad muffler causing power loss to an engine but what about the slight flooding when the blades are engages? Could a muffler really do that? When he was listening to the mower yesterday he said it sounded quiet and thought the muffler was restricting the engine but the guy I took it to before him that knows mowers told me it didn't sound good at all and that it wasn't the muffler...

10. Restrorob

Sure could, If the cylinder can't exhaust there's less room for fuel intake which can cause more spit-back out of the carb.