1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 23 loosing power under load

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mswanson65, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mswanson65

mswanson65 LawnSite Member

Hi all, I have an Exmark lazer hp with a kohler 23 hp with 150 hours. It is now loosing power under load. Seems to idle ok but when I hit the grass some black smoke comes out and it start sputtering. I changed the spark plugs and air filters but this didn't solve problem. I did notice that it had too much oil in it and I drained out about half a quart to get it to the right level....could this have caused damage? My next thing to try is to change the fuel filter. I have run a tank of carb cleaner through it. I wonder if the ethanl log grade gas here in NY is causing the problem? Any thoughts? thanks!
  2. kawasaki1

kawasaki1 LawnSite Member

what's the percentage of ethanol in the gas? if it's above 15% kohler won't warranty a thing.
  3. mswanson65

mswanson65 LawnSite Member

It says on the pumps 10% ethanol but who knows if that is correct.
  4. Firefighter337

Firefighter337 LawnSite Senior Member

It should have a 2 year warranty on the motor. I would go get the dealer to check it out. Could have a bad motor.
  5. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

If you drained the excess oil out after replacing the plugs and filter I would recheck them again, and for sure change your fuel filter. I would also check to make sure your blades are sharp and your blade bearing assy are free from string/twine etc and that your blade bearings arnt starting the seize up. Running an engine with to much oil in it usauly will cause a seal or gasket to blow, then your question would have been my kohler 23 is leaking oil from somewhere. besides regular maintainance to your engine if you continue to have troubles take it back to the Dealer if its still under the warranty or if somebody dosnt post the magic cure for you on lawnsite. whatever the outcome please comeback and let us know.