Kohler 23 vs. 25

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Likestomow, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if the Kohler 23 air cooled engine is just as powerful or less powerful than the 25hp. I haven’t heard of too many problems with the 23. I am looking at a 62" Toro Z-Master.

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We just picked up a 2001 Toro Z255 62" and 25hp. We have always ran and run Walker brand mowers do to there compact size and next to perfect cut but we are maintaning large schools with athletic fields and large commercial buildings so we picked one of the machines to do the larger areas less vissible to the eye and use the Walkers up close for the finish cut. Our 25hp seems to go good but we now wish we went with the Kawasaki (just for a change) We are looking to get another mower for 2002 and demoed a Grass Hopper and think thats our next one! For the Toro get the 25hp or the 23 Kawi motor. Kohler motors have been great here, only problem was on our 26EFI Walker was we have gon through 2 fuel pumps (under warrenty) but on our kohlers on all present and past we put over 3500hrs with little to no problems. Also the striping kit option we got with our Z255, you will need to remove the deck but leaves real nice lines!!!! If you can afford it go with the fuel injected motor (less motor noise) ours is air cooled and real noisy, we demoed a F.I. model after and wish we spent the extra $$$$$ for it. Have your local dealer bring a 25hp air & a 23hp F.I. to one of your sites for a demo!!!! and see for yourself wich fits best for you.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You must have really been refering to a liquid cooled motor rather than the F.I., right?

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep I got our FI injected Walkers mixed up with the Liquid ones (thanks for the catch!!!) I did mean the Liquid cooled!!!!!!!