Kohler 23hp oil filter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by transman, Sep 3, 2003.

1. transman

transman LawnSite Member

Anyone know of a good oil filter that will cross to a 23hp kohler.
    I have a 2003 Laser Z.... Dealer wants $11.00!!!!!

Thanks

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A FRAM PH-3600 used to fit my 25hp Kohler on my DC. Its a bit longer than stock, but if you don't have a length clearance problem, then it'll be fine.

All big Kohler filters should be the same.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

As far as the OEM filter goes, prices vary widely. I have paid as little as $6.xx for them and over $10. Is yours the 52-050-02 Kohler filter? If it is, the Purolator L10241 and PureOne PL10241 will work. I have used them on my 25 for years. I've used them on my Kubota and Kawasaki as well. I think they are every bit as good or better than the OEM filter, but if your engine is under warranty, I don't know if I would use anything but the Kohler for warranty reasons. Only if the aftermarket filter was to blame should it ever be denied for warranty claim, but you know how that goes. Do you have to time to fight Kohler over it? Do you want to have to get the aftermarket filter supplier involved? It sucks, but if companies can get out of a claim, they will. Hell, I am having a hard time getting my 26 EFI Kohler fixed and it is original all the way.

4. DieselDeere

DieselDeere LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you cross-reference part numbers? TLS? Keith?

5. Keith

Purolator's website used to cross reference about anything. For some reason they did away with all the small engine stuff about two years ago. I believe Wix still has a site to cross small filters. From there you can take the Wix number and cross it into Purolator.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Kohler 20HP and Kawi 25 HP take the same filter. I would think the 23 HP would use the same also.

Auto Part stores have a refferance book for matching different brands of parts.

Gene

7. Keith

Ok. Here you go. http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

Enter a Kohler number, like 52-050-02 with out the space or dashes like this 5205002. Comes up with a 51348 Wix. If you take that number to www.pureoil.com and enter it into their cross reference, it comes up with L10241. For the PureOne filter, just add the P, so PL10241. Both the Wix and Purolator are good filters.

8. transman

transman LawnSite Member

After allot of research I found out that Motorcraft uses the Purolator Pure One filter media in there filters.
    The FL400S crosses over to the Kolher filter.
    It is a little over twice the size and costs $2.97 at Wallmart.
    The filter element is 10 micron compared to 27 or 32 for Kohler.

The Acdelco filter is a PF53 with a 25 micron element.
    The Acdelco Ultraguard filter is 8 - 10 micron.....

Do not use the ORANGE filter, many problems reported in several forums........

Its not that I don't want to use Kohlers filters, I just don't like being blatantly riped off by the dealers.
    There are only so many oil filter manufactors, Kohler has to be getting there filters from one of them........

Check out this link....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html#motorcraft
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------