Kohler 25 HP Ticking Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wangel, May 10, 2003.

1. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I have a Scotts 2554 with the 2 cylinder Kohler 25 HP engine. I was cutting some very heavy grass with it yesterday and it was chugging pretty good. Afterwards, the engine started a 'ticking' noise. The ticking happens whether or not the tractor is moving, and speeds up with RPM. It sounds like lifter noise. Could I have bent a 'push rod'? I'm religous on changing the oil and filter and have even been using Mobil 1 for the last 2 years. I have not had any problems with this tractor since new. Any thoughts on what this could be and what it will take to repair it? Thanks in advance.
  2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the same thing happen after I have pushed one a little hard. Some times if you run the engine a little longer the noise has went away. I have had springs break and rocker arms come loose but have not had any push rods bend yet. It is usually not too big a job to repair what is making the ticking in the valve train on a Kohler. If the ticking is coming from the valve train. If you take off a valve cover be sure to replace the o ring gasket or you will probably had a very small annoying leak.

SAWDOC LawnSite Member

Your ticking is a drained lifter, change your oil over to kohler 10w-30 oil and your ticking will magically disapear after about ten minutes running time.
  4. ptman

ptman LawnSite Member
    from VA

I'm also using Mobil One is a 25 hp Kohler. Seems to run cooler. However, should I be using Kohler 10w-30 instead?
  5. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I changed the oil with Kohler 10w30 and ran the engine for about 10 to 15 no load. The ticking is still there. I then drained the oil again and put in some engine flush with some fresh oil to try and clean things out. I ran the engine again for about 10 to 15 minutes. Drained oil again and put in some fresh 10w30. Ran engine again. No change. With a stethoscope, the noise on the left valve cover is much louder than on the right.

Should I give it a compression check next or just pull the valve cover to see what is going on inside there?

Anything else I should do?
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: wangel, i use a shot glass of marvels mystery oil and clear my tickin in about 5 min. tony
  7. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

UPDATE: I ran the engine another 10 to 15 minutes with half engine flush and half oil. The oil light came on, which I believe was due to the oil being too thin. Anyway, I drained the oil again and then gave it a compression check. The compression was 230 PSI in both cylinders. Sounds high, but being that they were even, I thought it's probably OK. I then filled it with 10W30 Pennzoil. The oil light went off after about 2 minutes and then the ticking noise started to fade after about 5 minutes. I have my old tractor back. Many thanks to all who assisted with their 2 cents.
  8. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Here is the official response I got from Kohler.

As with all vertical engines, where the hydraulic valve lifters are positioned horizontally, there is a chance that small air pockets accumulating in the # 1 intake lifter cavity. This is the highest point of the engine and the last area where the oil is delivered. The lifter clatter comes and goes during use, as the air bubbles accumulate in the lifter and are relieved as the lifter turns. As the oil is pushed through the engine it begins to aerate and small air bubbles accumulate and are deposited in the lifter feed chamber. Kohler did come up with a kit which is inserted into the oil feed area for the lifters. This kit diverts the air bubbles back into the crankcase. The kit has had a 100% success rate. This kit takes approximately one hour to install. The part number for the separator kit is 24 755 135-S. This kit includes the separator plug and all the gaskets necessary to install the plug.