Kohler 25 Need help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grounds Control, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Grounds Control

Grounds Control LawnSite Member
    from 01748

After fixing what i thought was an exhaust leak, i still have a real bad leak. Further investigation found a bent pushrod at the leak area. I'm figureing a warped/ cracked head. Does the bent rod go with this? Re-bent it and it bent again. I removed the valve cover and there seems to be an awful lot of blow by coming out from the bottom. What gives?

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, for one, rebending a push rod just doesnt' work.

I'll just help keep this at the top for when rob stops in to see it.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have the famous blown head gasket, You need to pull that head off and thats what you will find. Go to your dealer and get a head gasket KIT ONLY and make sure you put a straight edge on the head and block areas and check for flatness before re-assembly. As for the push rod , Of course get a new one and upon installing let the engine set around a half hour so the lifters can bleed down before you try to start it up.

4. Grounds Control

from 01748

thanks for your reply rob......if i may

how is the blown head gasket bending the push rod? Some how the distance got shorter or the rod got longer?

as for the lifters.... will i have to take them out? Repalce with new ones? any other special proceedures?

thank you.

5. Restrorob

Well, It's hard to say what caused the push-rod to bend, What weight oil are you running ? While you have the head off check the valves and make sure they are not binding and look at the top of the piston for any signs of the valve hitting. Unless the lifters were making excessive noise I wouldn't worry about replacing them.
    The bent push-rod and blown head gasket have nothing to do with each other from what you explained. Here are some pages from the service manual that have the torque and procedures for installing the head and rockers and you should be able to go here; ahttp://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp and click enter as guest and down load the whole manual if you want. Again let the engine set before starting up. I couldn't black out the unwanted parts of the pages but you will see what is pertaining to installing the head.

Good Luck

Attached Files:

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

BOY, your an all right kind of guy, there, mr.fix-it. This weather is JUST GREAT, here in old Daytona...........the beach is still loaded with 'em.

7. Restrorob

Well, Whats tha hold up .......Load um up and head um out ......Got plenty room. Yeah it's GREAT for you Yankees but cool for us Southern folk.

8. Grounds Control

from 01748

thought i'd follow up.....

it was indeed a blown head gasket (left side facing pto) the bent pushrod was likely from me not bleeding the lifter. Installed a new one correctly and it runs great. (for a kohler)

9. Restrorob

Glad to hear ya got er going :)

Take care