1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 25 water cooled or Kohler EFI?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad, Feb 2, 2003.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

Any experiance with these two engines? I need to choose on one for a new Walker? Anything good or bad that you know of? (I do not want the diesal.)
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

25Liquid is brand new for this year.

From my personal experience I would not go with anything new the first year. I did that in 98 with a 25 Kohler in a Walker. It was not a liquid cooled engine but it was the first time Walker offered the 25 Kohler in its mower. It was the worst engine that I ever dealt with. JUNK. I would highly recommend a 26EFI in the Walker. It uses as much gas as a 20 with 9 more useable HP, lots more torque and excellent reliability.

The 25LC's may be a good engine but there aren't any out in the lawn yet. My rec is to avoid the old 25 carb job altogether and go with the 26EFI. Good Luck.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have not had very good luck with the two, 25hp "air cooled" Kohlers I have owned. Sorry ,I am not familiar with a 25hp liquid cooledKohler. I would go with the other choice however.
    I think I read somewhere that Kohler has made some changes in the 25hp air-cooled engine to upgrade it to 27hp. There will be no more 25hp air-cooled Kohlers when the current supply in the pipeline is gone. Anyone else heard this?:)
  4. Mowingman

from Texas

Just checked out the Walker website to look at engine availability.
    Looks like on the MT20 you have the following choices:
    20hp Kohler air-cooled
    26hp Kohler air-cooled EFI
    29hp Kohler liqiud cooled EFI
    I have the 20hp on my Walker and it has been a good engine. However, if I were to buy another one, given the above choices, I would go with the new 29hp L.C. EFI. That way, I could run some of Walker's big decks.:)
  5. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

Mowing Man,, I looked at Walkers Site and i do not see any 29 Lc EfI offered anywhere. I am getting the T model 42 or 48 GHS deck.
  6. Mowingman

from Texas

Go to the Walker website and click on "whats new". It is near the bottom of that page. Says it will be avail. in April 2003.:)
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Given the engine location on the Walker, I would "think" a liquid cooled engine would be the best choice for long engine life.

As for the 29hp LC EFI, it was only a matter of time before someone realized tht would sell. Sounds like a great choice on a Walker. I bet there is a stiff premium for it though...
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The EFI is proven. You can't go wrong.
  9. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I have experience with both. I would personally recomend the EFI. I like the liquid but alot more **** to go wrong. I heard that the EFI had some computer probs but to go along with that the computer is nice cause it will tell you the problems you may occur. The liquid is suppose to have a longer engine life but I don't have a mower long enough to find out 3 yrs or 2000 hrs and it is gone. The EFI has a nicer cut but is almost too aggresive on the lawn so be carefull.
  10. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I have about 870hrs on a 26efi and i can reccomend it highly.
    zero problems & uses about 2/3,s the fuel my 25 hp used.
    Doesnt seem to have much more power than 25 but starts
    and runs much better.