Kohler 25Hp Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by xtremelawns, Mar 3, 2005.

1. xtremelawns

xtremelawns LawnSite Member

i Have a 2 mowers with the Kohler 25 hp engines. I was just wondering if any of you can help me with Valve adjustment and anything else i might need to do for maintenance do to Spark PLug fouls up and a little loss of Power. any help would be much appreciated.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Is it just 1 spark plug in each engine that is fouling?

3. xtremelawns

Yes it is just 1 for now. But i do see loss of power

4. Richard Martin

Head gasket on the cylinder that is fouling. If it's real bad you may be able to actually hear it puffing air. Do a compression test to confirm.

5. xtremelawns

should i replace the head gaskets anyways just for the maintenance before season begins

6. Richard Martin

No, if they're not leaking don't touch them. Kohlers are kinda finicky about the head gaskets and you could ruin something that works fine.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

As a former owner of a 25HP Kohler I say this in all honesty;

my suggestion to help you is to spend 1.99 on a FOR SALE sign.

Sorry if that smacks of being a wise a$$ but I had nothing but grief and problems from a 25. I am not anti Kohler by any means as I traded for a 26EFI and you will not convince me there are many motors that are better. Good Luck.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Are you having problems or do you want to just do pre maintenance?

If you have loss of power, do what RM said. Compression test and act on the results.

9. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

take it to a dealer,i don't know how many hours you have but for that to be happing you must have many.
    to make it work right you need to do a few things first you need to power tune pull the heads and clean all the carbon from them pull the valves and ck them good make sure they are not beat all to he!!.also spec the cyl holes at this time if they are out of round throw the engine away.when you put it all back together use all new gaskets there is a kit with new head bolts your dealer should know it if he cant find it find another dealer who can.you wont be needing him any longer.make sure when you put this thing back together
    you get the intake gaskets in right.i have been guilty of this once.get a book
    on this engine and torque every thing to the right specs.if you can do this that kohler will run like a new one as long as every thing else is good.
    almost forgot put new lifters in too they don't cost that much and it would suck to have to do this again in june.
    in my shop this would cost around $275.00
    hope this helps john

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The 25hp Kohlers have self adjusting hydraulic lifters. Is it using oil? Fouling plugs is a sign of excess oil usage.