Kohler 25hp motor problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kjfaulk, Aug 27, 2002.

1. kjfaulk

kjfaulk LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Kohler 25 hp motor with 460 hours and have had problems with the lifters ticking since the motor reach 200 hrs. The Kohler rep. has looked at it twice, plus many phone calls and the actually put new lifters in it for me, even tried every kind of oil on the planet. Cheap oil to the million dollar oil, still after running for about 20-30 minutes the lifters will start ticking.
    Now, does any body else have any problems with this same motor, or is it just me?
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the 25again. somebody shoot them thangs.
    seriously the kohler is known to make a little valve noise. just the nature o the beast.tap tap tap.
    course mine dont . it give up trying to tap one day when i turned it up to 3860rpm.:)
    iknow its a particular lot of the 25s that were the problem . it just amazes me that one of the best motor manufacturers,could let that thing hurt their image like it seems to have.
    appologies to those who got good 25 s.
    its the only motor i know of that id rather have w 300 hrs on it than new. by that time if theres a problem u should know it. if u got 300 w no trouble,u probably get 2500hrs or more.
    jmho

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I know it sounds kinda silly, but you may want to try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil. You may have some dirt stuck in a lifter. (IT DID work in my brand new 350 in my old truck)

Another thing... Use 10W-30 and DO NOT overfill it! If it gets slightly overfull, the oil level will be too high, and the crank will slap the oil into a frenzy and really allow a lot of tiny air bubbles to develop. These bubbles get into the hydraulic lifters, and it will collapse and sound like an old VW Bug!!!

Keep the oil levels just under the full line, and make sure your using a oil filter with an anti-drainback valve.

Good Luck!

All else fails, get those bullets ready!!!
    :eek:

4. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Marvel Mystery Oil, Great stuff would not be without it.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

great reply Tommy!!

that would be my answers also.....

6. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Is this a vertical shaft engine? CV25 or CH25? If it is a CV there is a new kit coming out from Kohler next month, part #24 755 135-S From what I have heard it will cure the lifter noise for those that don't start to tick until after they have been running for a while during the day.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, this kit includes the following....

.44 Magnum
    Holster
    Safety Glasses
    Detailed Engine Map as to the most effective areas to get a "good shot"!

:D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist! :p

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Not another Kohler 25 problem,get used to the noise .Mine still does this about once a month or so,it lasts 5 minutes or so,then is silent for a month or so,I gave up on trying t fix it.Its a design flaw,but Tom is right, do not loverfill the oil,change it every 25hrs,and since ive been using Shaffers Motor oil,95% of the ticking noise is gone.

9. karteberry

karteberry LawnSite Member

Great Kit Description, almost laughed my lifters off !! Keep up the good work:D

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 Kohler 25 motors, sometimes at startup they chatter very loud for no reason, but then quiet down.

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic.

Ken