1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 25hp on Toro Z

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Stuttering Stan, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm stumped. When I turm the key no happens. I put a test light on the on the whole electrical system and it is good. Fuses are good. It just will not turn over (Battery is good). Ideas?
  2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Update. The power stop at the a solenoid on the frame. I tried to bypass it with a screwdriver but no luck. Any ideas
  3. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a safety switch is bad. or the solenoid itself. or a combination of the 2. or a wire corresponding with either of those. i would put my money of a safety switch.
  4. ArchZangel

ArchZangel LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Check ur grounds in the starter circuit. If all grounds good, and u have power to the solenoid. Then starter is bad. Pul starter and test. Easy way to do this: Use jumpers from battery charger or other good battery. Connect black to body of starter. And just touch red to starter terminal. (on external solenoid use terminal, on starters with solenoid on starter touch terminal that has braided metal wire going to starter.) BTW do a load test on battery

5. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

make sure you have 12 volts to the starter.

check your oil sentry switch-if so equipped. if its faulty and doesn't ground out, your engine may not starter (some are equipped with kill switches, mainly consumer models). to bypass, disconnect wire from oil sentry switch and ground it.
  6. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

um, nevermind that-oil sentry grounds out the ignition and kills it.