Kohler 26 Hp backfire on decell

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PABresnick, May 7, 2002.

1. PABresnick

PABresnick LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I have a Kohler Comand 26 Hp with less than 100 hours that started out by dieseling at shut off and has now progressed to stumbling on accelleration and also back firing with a large flame out the exhaust when you reduce the throttle. Head gaskets were done last year to eliminate the oil consumption problem and the carb has been cleaned but I found no dirt or varnish. Kohler is sending me a new accellerator pump diaphragm but the old one was fine. The fly wheel key is also good. Carb is not adjustable on mixture but float level is good. This is a model cv25s on a Craftsman tractor that is 3 years old. I bought it used so I have no warranty and parts can get expensive if I start guessing. Any help or ideas would be great. I figure its getting extra fuel on decell to shoot the flame.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get a backfire if there is a hole in the muffler or the muffler gaskets are bad.

3. PABresnick

PABresnick LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Exhaust is good and there are no leaks.

4. khouse

Maybe it's running hot? Have you dechaffed the engine? On my 25 command the carb was cleaned twice with no effect. Kohler sent a brand new one to put on and it runs great now.

5. selph

selph LawnSite Member

I have the Kohler Command 25 HP on my Grasshopper. It also does this. Now it will run fine until it gets warm (20-30 min.) and the starts backfiring really bad. It does it worse under full throttle. Any ideas? The problem may be the same as yours :( Dave

6. khouse

Does either one of your engines have a lot of tappet noise? It will be a light to heavy clicking or ticking noise from the lifters not pumping up.

7. selph

selph LawnSite Member

No tappet noise at all on mine. dave

8. danzig

danzig LawnSite Member

Sounds like a faulty coil. The backfire could happen if the exaust is too rich from all the fuel not being burned up. Mine does this but i know it has a hole in the muffler.