Kohler 26 HP on a Lazer Z Cutting on and off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ealbertson, May 16, 2003.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

The mower is a 2001 model. I have had no real problems until this. It almost acts like I am getting off the seat. It spudders for a second then takes off again. It does on either fuel tank. It also does it when I am flat on the seat with out any bouncing. It started very sparadically but now is doing it more often.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

It has electronic fuel injection.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a wire coming loose somewhere. I'd have to see/hear it.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know, but my 2003 Lazer EPS sputters pretty bad, especially when taking off after making a turn, when we hit any little slope or grade or when it hits any slightly high grass. Sounds like it is loading up or running really rich. The mower has 53 hours on it and has been doing it for the last 15 or so. It's the only ZTR we have running right now, so I have to use it until I get one of the others back in service. It also now has two oil leaks :mad: My 25 Kohler on my last mower was near perfect, this one has been far from it.
  4. Lodi Lawn

Lodi Lawn LawnSite Member

ED, I have 2 Lazer EPS 26 Hp ZTR's a 2001 and a 2002. Have not had any problems with the 2002 yet, but with the 2001 have had the same type of problem 2 times. The first time after sputtering off and on for a couple of weeks it finally died and I could not get it started. I took it into the dealer and he knew right what to do . He put in a new 12 volt relay (I think the part number is 643275) said he had seen it before and I was back on the road in an hour. At the end of last year and so far this year it is acting up just like you describe(either tank, flat on the seat, just like running out of gas) except when it sputters sometimes the blades stop. I have tracked down the problem this time to the wire that goes into the electric clutch. It is either the connector closest to the clutch or where the wire goes right into the clutch as part of the clutch assembly. If the blades stop I can kneel backward on the seat to keep the engine running and reach back and grab the wire and jiggle it and the clutch will engage and maybe run for an hour or a day or 2. I have had the connector apart and cleaned it (I heard that some silicone that is put on connectors actually causes shorts) and tie wrapped it back together and it ran for a month then started acting up again. If it is where the wire goes into the clutch then I will have to buy a new clutch and I really don't want to spend the money if I can keep it running by jiggling the wire, although the last couple of days sometimes it has been sputtering 2 or 3 times while doing an acre lot and like Keith says sometimes it seems it does it more in thick long grass but not all the time. Hope this helps.
  5. Lohr Equipment & Wel

Lohr Equipment & Wel LawnSite Member

Find the ground from the engine to the frame,then remove the bolt from the frame and scrape the area were the ground eyelet will touch.It could just be abad ground