Kohler 26EFI Questions?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOW ED, Apr 11, 2005.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 26EFI with 1300 hours on it and I have noticed that it will drop power and then regain it. That does not happen alot or consistently but it is noticeable when it does.
    It almost seems like if the seat switch is opened but it happens both when the pto is engaged or not engaged. I am thinking some type of fuel delivery problem that is intermittant.
    It also smells like it is running rich at times but that just may be me over analyzing the situation. I hate intermittant problems when its broke I can get it fixed but how do you diagnose sometimes broke. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would bring it to a dealer and see if any codes come up. Have you checked the oxygen sensor? How about the TPS? Look around the vacuum line to see if there is an air leak near the intake.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You need a computer and the Kohler software to do any work on the Kohler EFI. I know that may suck but that is the way it is. Is the engine light on? If so what is the service code?

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replys, I'm gonna start by cleaning the fuel tank and changing the fuel filter. Looks like a little gunk in there. It ran great yesterday. No dropouts at all. I know the owners manual says 1500 hours for the filter so I am not too far off at 1300. Are there any issues you know of with the in tank fuel pump. Anything to clean in there?
    The thing that gets me is there is no check engine light and it is an intermittant thing. When it runs great it is a fine engine. It has for the most part done that. Thanks for the help so far.

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Ed - something I've installed on all my machines is a fuel sediment bowl (Briggs & Stratton). They are small and go on the fuel line before the filter. You will be greatly surprised at all the gunk and water that collects in there prior to going to the filter. This way you can be sure no water enters the FI system.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I am not sure if that is a good idea for this set up. The fuel pump is INSIDE the fuel tank submerged under the fuel with a pick up screen mounted on the pump intake. I would be very careful what I put between the pump and the injectors. The fuel system on the Kohler EFI engine runs at 35 to 40 PSI. That is the reason a METAL fuel filter is used on the new on EFI engines. A plastic fuel filter or sediment bowl would bust under that type of pressure. And on a side note that fuel rail and hose HOLD pressure for a long time after the engine is turned off. It has to be bleed down to unhook the fuel hose unless you like getting sprayed with gasoline. And you say it is running rich, you have a O2 senor problem or a failed computer or something. You will not be able to do much with this engine without plugging it into a computer running Kohler's program. Check the jumper lead from the muffler to the engine block. If this jumper fails the O2 senor loses ground and will not work right