1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kohler 26EFI Questions?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOW ED, Oct 8, 2005.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a good little Kohler but recently it has started running a little strange. The machine has almost 1500 hours and was bought new in 2000. The concern is that when I run at anything less than full throttle it lopes. Another strange thing is that when the fuel tank gets to be about 1/3rd full it also lopes. By loping I mean up and down with the RPMS it still runs bet smells rich along with the up and down revving.
    I thought it may have been the fuel filter but I changed that and also flushed the tank and cleaned the screen on the fuel filter but still have the same problem.
    When the tank is full and I am running full throttle it runs like a champ. It would lead one to think that mayby there is a fuel pump issue but could it be something else? I know EFI's are sensitive to many things but I don't want to guess and be wrong. Any help is appreciated.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You need to take it to the proper dealer that can plug into it to diagnose the problem.

Anything else would be a guess. it could be the oxygen sensor??????

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto John, Too many things could cause this.
  4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

That's what mine was doing, before I replaced the oxygen sensor. Ran fine after that.

Only problem was, it took almost 2 weeks to get one. :cry:
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

What is your engine error code?
    The codes are accessed through the key switch and
    displayed as blinks or flashes of the MIL. Access the
    codes as follows.
    1. Start with the key switch off.
    2. Turn the key switch on-off-on-off-on, leaving it on
    in the third sequence. The time between
    sequences must be less than 2.5 seconds.
    3. Any stored fault codes will then be displayed as a
    series of MIL blinks (from 2 to 6) representing the
    first digit, followed by a pause, and another series
    of blinks (from 1 to 6) for the second digit.

Kohler service manuals are online for free download at the Kohler web site. Below is part of one of those manuals.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That link is messed up. I copied it from an old post and it did not encode right.My mistake.Try this one it should work .
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the input. I did try the code thing and only got a 61. I had the o2 sensor out yesterday and blew compressed air thru it. The machine seemed to run normal after that but I still think I may replace the sensor.

I found a Bosch number on it, 0 258 002 060.
    Anyone know what one of these cost and if a Lawnsite sponsor sells them?
    Thanks again.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Great move ED.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

more than you want to spend. go to auto parts store. 90 chevy 1/2 ton w/350.

61 is all clear code. make sure you got 40 psi fuel pressure. also itll act like that until it gets warmed up enough for closed loop operation.